COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Madrid Hotels - Need Help

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:12 AM
n_marquis

Madrid Hotels - Need Help

We are looking at staying in one of 2 hotels, the Tyrp Amabassador or the Carlos V. We are going in November. Any comments or other suggestions would be appreciated

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Hi,
I stayed in the Tryp Ambassador in 1996 and we thought it was a great hotel. It's mansion that has been converted to a hotel (used to be an embassy or Duke's house...I can't remember which one ). The building is beautiful with a lot of character.

We were in a nice sized triple room facing the street, and we didn't hear any street noise. The hotel had a great breakfast buffet with every kind of meat, pastries, and cereal available (we counted 8 different types of meat). The location is good..close to sights (Opera, Presidential Palace, Plaza Mayor, Grand Via), subway station half a block away, a couple of clubs further up the street, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Enjoy!!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:06 AM

I stayed at the Carlos V is late June and was quite happy. The rooms are large, air conditioned and comfortable, even if the decor is a little bland. The bathrooms were big, and actually had face towels (which I've found to be rare in Europe.)
It's got a great breakfast room with an excellent breakfast (inc. in the room)
The location is FANTASTIC! It's a block from Puerta del Sol and a block from Plaza Callao, both of which have metro stations. You can walk to anything in central Madrid (provided it's not 110 degrees).
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:36 AM

We were in Madrid in July ,stayed at Tryp Ambassador as we got a great deal 75 euros double including breakfast. Tryp is well located, excellent breakfast, room facing street was fine ie no noise ,but would I pay more than 75 euros per night, no way. It is not your typical 4 star that you would expect in North America, it is more like a 3star. Carlos V has fantastic location and if I went again would stay there.Also there is a hotel called Precaidos new,boutique style which is also in the area which is graet 75 euros double without breakfast.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:07 AM

we are going in september, and were advised to stay near puerta del sol or gran via to be close to the "action" - ie nightlife, etc as well as all the sights.

we're looking at either hotel suecia or tryp reina victoria, both in sol. i have a post up that asks for a recommendation between the two...

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:51 PM

I recently got back from a 3 night stay at Carlos V. It is a great location on a quiet side street, but just steps from all the action in Puerto Sol. We were very pleased with our room and the service, as well as the breakfast. They also offer free internet access, have a reasonable bar. I would highly recommend the place!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:37 AM

World Explorer:

How did you book your stay at Hotel Carlos? Do they have a website? I'll be in Madrid in December.

How about Tyrp Ambassador? Website or what?

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Hi,
I can also highly recommend the Carlos V, very centrally located next to the Puerta del Sol, good size rooms with modern bathrooms, great breakfast buffet and friendly staff. Have not stayed at the Tryp Ambassador but it's highly recommended.

Carlos V:
http://www.hotelcarlosv.com

Tryp Ambassador: [email protected]
Tel: (011-34) 91 541 6700
US Reservations: (800) 448-8355

You can see a list of other hotels I've heard good things about as well as my reviews of the hotels I've used in Spain in my non-commercial travel website at: www.gatortravels.com