Madrid accommodation suggestions

Feb 16th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Madrid accommodation suggestions

We will be in Madrid for 5 nights in October.
I am thinking I would rather rent an apartment rather than a hotel room.
Does anyone have any apartment recommendations? There is my husband and myself, so we don't need anything too big.
Also not sure which area of Madrid we should stay in, we have never been to Madrid before. We will not have a car and are happy to walk and use public transport.
Thanking you in advance.
Feb 17th, 2019, 06:16 AM

Will you be visiting the Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen? If so, I recommend the area where we stayed. However, we didn't stay in an apartment. If you change your mind about accommodations, I highly recommend the Mercure Madrid Centro, Calle Lope de Vega 49. But I am sure this area has apartments. It was a 5-10 minute walk to the Prado and Reina Sofia. We didn't have time to visit the Thyssen, but I know it is nearby. We also walked to Retiro Park, Plaza del Sol, Plaza Mayor, and San Miguel Market. We did take a taxi when we visited the Royal Palace. Our hotel is also a block away from Calle de Jesus with all its tapas restaurants. So it's a great location! We did not have a car, either, and as I said, we either walked or used taxis, which are reasonable.
Feb 17th, 2019, 06:30 AM

This is the apartment we rented in 2017. She has others in the building. Just google At Home in Madrid and they’re easy to find. The owner was very easy to work with, and the apartment was nearly perfect. It’s near Plaza Santa Ana and is very central.

https://www.vrbo.com/691767
Feb 18th, 2019, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

KarenWoo, Thank you for your reply. Yes we did look at a hotel, but thought we would prefer an apartment with a few extra facilities especially a washing machine, as will be spending the previous week in Italy. Thank you for the the suggestion and recommendation for the area. It does seem like a great location to base ourselves.

Indyhiker, thank you for the the apartment recommendation it looks perfect but unfortunately it is booked for our dates in October. I have emailed the owner for other recommendations. I will also check out the website.
Feb 18th, 2019, 08:55 AM

This company has apartments, as well: https://www.homeathomes.com/eng/
Feb 18th, 2019, 08:59 AM

If you wish something more upscale try
Spain Select, now Home Club

we we rented from them 3 times.
Feb 18th, 2019, 09:13 AM

We rented an apartment on the Calle de las Huertas, a walking street with lots of restaurants and bars, which was within walking distance of the Atocha station, the Prado, the central plaza--in fact if young enough, anything between the royal palace and the Prado was within walking distance.
Feb 19th, 2019, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. They are all great and I will spend the next day or so investigating the available apartments. We are interested in staying around the Calle de las Huertas area. It looks like a good location and we like to walk to explore the areas and we like to try different restaurants.
Feb 19th, 2019, 08:22 AM

We used Spain Select and had a fabulous apartment in Seville. As mentioned above, they use a different name now.
Feb 19th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Even though you said apartments, I will echo KarenWoo.

Here is where I stayed in 2014:

NH Paseo del Prado
Plaza Cánovas del Castillo, 4. 28014 Madrid
There were HOHO and regular busses, plus taxis at the door. Concierge service was super and they got me a seat

I did go to all 3 art museums in 2014 and that area is lovely. FWIW, here's my TR:
Madrid and London

Have a great trip and please report back about your experiences.

PS--you might also consider a wash and fold--less expensive than hotels and way easier than figuring out some of those washer/dryers!*

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 19th, 2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: addo
Feb 23rd, 2019, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I have now booked my Madrid accommodation.

From Indyhiker: This is the apartment we rented in 2017. She has others in the building. Just google At Home in Madrid and they’re easy to find. The owner was very easy to work with, and the apartment was nearly perfect. It’s near Plaza Santa Ana and is very central.

https://www.vrbo.com/691767

Thanks Indyhiker I did indeed book with this owner. Thank you for the suggestion.
Feb 23rd, 2019, 05:14 AM

Fantastic! Let me know which one and/or how you end up liking it. We’d like to return to Madrid for a longer visit in 2021. I hope you get to meet Gorete; we enjoyed our visit with her.