Lyon during winter

Search

Lyon during winter

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2020, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyon during winter

How cold is Lyon’s winter, especially between January and February? What people usually wear? Would you recommend going this time of the year?
Have a good day!
Old May 10th, 2020, 01:36 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe forum and tagged for France
Old May 12th, 2020, 06:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by renatabm1440
How cold is Lyon’s winter, especially between January and February? What people usually wear? Would you recommend going this time of the year?
Have a good day!
Yes, I would recommend going in the winter to Lyon. In 2013 we spent a week in Lyon in February and loved it. I don't remember the exact temps but it was sunny most of the time and not freezing. I live in the NE where we have cold winters. I was fine in Lyon and wore regular winter clothes. I have a TR that you can read about what we did and the weather. Live from Lyon
Below Lyon in February on a nice, sunny day.

Last edited by yestravel; May 12th, 2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old May 13th, 2020, 03:52 AM

You can easily google for average temperatures anywhere in the world, including Lyon, in winter.

I agree with yestravel that Lyon is a fine winter destination. If nothing else, the food there, which is world-renowned, is particularly well suited to a winter climate - heavy on the meats and charcuterie and stews and quenelles and so forth. It's a lovely town any time of year, but apart from a few things you couldn't do in winter (boat tours), a great visit. We loved the Beaux Arts museum, the bus tour of the murals, and just wandering around the old quartier and eating hearty meals in the bouchons.
Old May 13th, 2020, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
"I agree with yestravel that Lyon is a fine winter destination. If nothing else, the food there, which is world-renowned, is particularly well suited to a winter climate - heavy on the meats and charcuterie and stews and quenelles and so forth. "
Ah, the food -- yes, StCirq, it was fabulous and definitely winter food. But I would eat it any time of the year. Love to get back there one of these days.
Old May 14th, 2020, 06:24 AM

I agree that Lyon food is hearty but also agree with Yes,Travel that it's good any time. If you are going in winter and can possibly work your schedule to go in December rather than January or February, you could try to time your visit for their annual Fete des Lumieres, in which they have several venues spread throughout the city with spectacular light shows. We have gone three times and loved it--along with the food. Whenever you go, you must schedule a visit to the Paul Bocuse market--one of the best modern markets ever. We were lucky enough to be there one year on New Year's Eve morning. The place was loaded to the max with elegant, expensive, beautiful things that people were buying for their New Year's Eve evertaining. Fantastic. Lyon is one of our all time favorite cities and definitely THE BEST for food. Lots of recs for dining there if you want some.

Last edited by JulieVikmanis; May 14th, 2020 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 14th, 2020, 06:49 AM

Yes. Lyon = food. Any time of year. Pile it on.