Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lving on Mar 16th Help !!! How do I get from Lndn Hthrow to Amsterdam.

Mar 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I need some urgent help please. My husband and I land in London on March 16th at 1:00 pm and fly out of London at 1:00 pm on the 19th.
We would like to take a train to Amsterdam,preferably overnight.
How do we go about doing this ?
Thanks in advance.

Rea
Mar 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Your plan makes no sense - you would be wasting a huge amount of time for a very uncomfortable trip.

The fastest trip is a little less than 5 hours - leaving London around 5 pm by Eurostar with 1 change. the only "overnight" trains take 11 to 12 hours and have 3 or more changes - so no sleeping on the train.

As long as you're already at Heathrow you may as well just fly on to Amsterdam. You would probably get there in not much more time than it would take you to get to central London to pick up a train.

Or - if you really want to go to Amsterdam - just fly there instead of to Heathrow.
Mar 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Why do you want to take an over night train? I agree w/ nyt - just change terminals at LHR and fly to Amsterdam.

That is IF I understand your post. Do you mean you want to go to A'dam on the 16th then return to London before the 19th to fly out of LHR? How/when are you traveling back to London to fly out on the 19th?

Or - if you mean something different - please clarify . . .
Mar 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM

No overnight trains - there is an overnight ferry though between Harwich and Hook of Holland (dutchflyer.co.uk), but as you need to allow at least 3 hours to reach Liverpool Street in order to get the train it's seems somewhat pointless compared to flying where you could be in Amsterdam before you even reached Liverpool Street.

You do realise that flying to London to go to Amsterdam is like flying to New York to go to Washington - but with a sea inbetween
Mar 6th, 2011, 02:27 AM

Are you returning to London to visit London too? If not why did you book flights to Heathrow, rather than to Schiphol? and if you are why not book an open jaw ticket, or a connecting flight on the same ticket 9which would have been cheaper).

As others have said getting to Amsterdam by train makes no sense - you would have to get into London, then get the Eurostar to Brussels or Paris and the Thalys to Amsterdam, or take the train/ferry/train combination if you want to overnight.

look into flying. At this short notice it won't be cheap but it will save you time and energy.
Mar 6th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Yes it does seem a little complicated, hence the need to fly. Were going to London since husband had a conference there, conference cancelled so just doing vacation. Already been to London so decided to go somewhere else.
Will just fly both ways now. Thanks all your time and effort.
Appreciate it !!!
Rea
Mar 6th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

While we are at it, how do you go from the airport in Amsterdam to the city. Best hotel for around $200 dollars in a convenient location and a tentative itinerary for 2 days in Amsterdam.

Thanks
Mar 6th, 2011, 04:42 AM

You can get the train from the airport station, but you will need coins, and you will need to get from the station to your hotel. For two it would make sense to take a taxi straight to the hotel. There is a hotel shuttle bus, but I don't know how much of a roundabout route it would take to get to your hotel, and an ordinary local bus that doesn't go right into the centre.

http://www.amsterdamtips.com/getting...ol-airport.php

All about public transport in Amsterdam:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers...s/welcome.aspx