Search

Luxembourg?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxembourg?

I will be staying near Trier, Germany for a few days in September which is quite close to Luxembourg. It wasn't till today I realized how close we would be and I know nothing about the country. Would anyone reccomend a day trip there? What is there to do there? Would Belgium be a better move?
Thanx!
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM

Luxembourg perfect day trip - a most stunningly gorgeous city - deep gorge running right thru it - otherwise not much but great because of its totally unique physical looks. This was the first European city i landed in in 1960, thanks to Icelandair, and is still one of the most captivating i've seen. The Place Royale, as i believe the main square is called, is a pleasant shaded square that is surrounded on all sides by pleasant outdoor and indoor cafes and restaurants. If not wanting to drive, it's a short train ride from Trier, right into the heart of town. Yet by car you can easily detour thru the Duchy of Luxembourg's mellow countryside and really neat towns. Luxembourgeois is the local language, a dialect of German though in parts towards France, French also holds sway. A most peculiar country - totally sovereign - until recent decades one of the world's top steel producers. Rust-belt cities line its border with France.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM

This is an interesting post from one month ago; it might give some insight:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p?tid=34652066

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:24 PM
JFlorides

Went to both Luxembourg and Brussels for a weekend last year and thought Luxembourg was really charming whereas Brussels I could have skipped. You hear so little about Luxembourg I was pleasantly surprised at how pretty the city is.

I stuck to walking around the city, the main shopping streets the lovely squares and the gorge that PalQ mentions, and eating, eating, eating. Lots of lovely cafes, bars, great restaurants. I would certainly recommend it for a day trip.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:26 AM

Luxembourg City would be a great day trip. It is a beautiful city where you can easily pass an entire day just walking around. Good restaurants and bars and taking the train through Luxembourg is like going through some fairytale land.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:32 AM

Inexpensive gas!!!