1 and 1/2 day in Luxembourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned in topic, I will be spending 1 and 1/2 day in Luxembourg.

I had read many reviews saying Luxembourg is a boring place filled with banks but the countryside is amazing. So far I heard of Little Switzerland and Valley of Seven Castle.

I will be bringing my parents in their late 50s travelling in Luxembourg. They are interested in scenic places so I thought Little Switzerland and Valley of Seven Castle would be a great places to visit. However, I am also aware that Little Switzerland are mainly hiking area and was wondering if anyone have been there and would that be able to do a day trip from Luxembourg city with just solely on sight seeing? Which would it be a better suggestion for scenic place to visit ? Little Switzerland or Valley of Seven Castle.

If you have any other great suggestions of scenic places, please also do not hesitate to let me know.

Just for your information, we will be solely depending on public transport. I have not check on renting a car but if renting a car would be a better idea to travel around Luxembourg, I will consider about it.

Thank you !!!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:55 AM

Topping..
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you will find the city worth walking around for about a day, the ex castle cliff area is fascinating. I would also look at hiring bicycle and heading down to the Mosel ending up in France or Germany and catching the train back. Vinyards abound and along with local food can make a very pleasant day.

nattali triangled
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding enough to do in and around Luxembourg City for 1.5 days.

There are two major squares in the city center - the Place D’Armes (most important) and the Place de Guillaume (also called the Kneudler), and there is usually something going on in one or the other, especially if you’re there on a weekend. The TI is located in the Kneudler, and that’s where you can get tourist information.

The city also has a rather small but beautiful Gothic cathedral. Not too far from the cathedral is the Place de la Constitution, a square from which you can get a great view of the lower city (the Grund) below, as well as a spectacular bridge which spans the Grund. You can also catch a little tourist train at this square which takes you into the Grund, but it doesn’t stop, just goes through. Alternatively, you can walk to nearby Judiciary Square and take the elevator down; once down there, you’ll find yourself in a quaint little area full of various types of shops.

You can also do one or more day or half-day trips from Luxembourg City. In about an hour by train, you can get to Trier, Germany, that has a very famous city center. Alternatively, in about the same time, you can train in the other direction to Metz, France. If you’d like to stay in the country of Luxembourg, you can take a scenic train ride to the little village of Ettelbruck. It takes about 45-minutes each way.

If you’re a WWII buff, you can go to Patton’s Grave in the American cemetery in Hamm, a suburb of Luxembourg City. Or, if you don’t mind renting a car, you can get to Bastogne in about an hour (but weekends are very crowded).

Enjoy Luxembourg City and its surrounding area!
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much !! Very informatif and I'm not relaly a WWII fans. I'm more towards scenery person, loves taking photograph so I will visit places that is beautiful.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Well...I was in Luxembourg City in May (click on my name to read my trip report) for 1.5 days. Granted, it rained part of the time while I was there, but I was not particularly taken with the city - and I'm a photographer as well. At least, I'd say that about Luxembourg City - not a bad place to visit, just not very exciting or, in my opinion, particularly photogenic. I visited Belgium after Luxembourg and found the photography there (Ghent, Bruges, and Leuven especially plus Brussels and Antwerp) much more interesting.

The country of Luxembourg, though, is quite beautiful. I took trains and buses out to Diekirch and Vianden (very easy) and found both town charming (Vianden is clearly the more charming and more visited of the two, with the castle above the town). I've put the country on my places to go back to someday - in better weather! - to see more of the towns, but I would not go out of my way to return to Luxembourg City.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 04:42 AM

is the countryside accessible by public transport as I do not drive? Thanks.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:26 PM

The small towns are generally accessible by bus (or a few by train), yes. I took the train from Luxembourg City to Diekirch and the bus from there to Vianden. I considered taking the bus to other towns but didn't really have time. It looked easy. 4 euros for a day pass - unlimited use of all buses and trains in the country! (OK, it's a small country...)
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

@ Andrew,

So it would be able to do a countryside tour as in out of the city tour in a day? I woule like to go to Little Switzerland, have you been there? Also, any recommendation picturesque places in Luxembourg that I should not missed?
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:02 PM

I was in Luxembourg for 3 days and saw most of the country. The Southern park of the country is not worth it. Some of the best places I enjoyed were: Echternach, Vianden, Clervaux, Bourschied castle and Esch-Sur-Sure. Ettlebruck has a small but nice WWII musuem. Stay as far away as possible city, I hated it.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:09 PM

Samantha, I didn't see much of the country as I was there only 1.5 days (and it rained some of that time). I saw only Luxembourg City, the American military cemetery (in Hamm, a suburb of the city), plus Diekirch and Vianden, all by bus or train. If you wanted to see a number of towns in a day on your own by public transit, you could probably figure out how to see at least three of them. I looked at how to do that when I was planning to stay an extra night - looked very doable. I don't know of any guided tour but perhaps there is one. I didn't go to Little Switzerland. Echternach was one of the towns I had also hoped to visit but didn't make it to.

You can see my Luxembourg trip report (click on my name) to see my pictures and you can decide if you think the places I visited were picturesque.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:10 PM

Sorry forgot somethings. Little Switzerland is also known as Mullerthal and is in East Luxembourg. Is is extremely tiny and I drove through it in about 2-3 hours including stops. Esch-sur-sure is a gorgeous little stop. I hate to admot it, but I walk 2 miles one way to the very dissapoiting waterfall Shciesentumpel. The whole area has a population of about 150 people.