luggage on train

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luggage on train

I have never travelled by train before, so please permit me to ask a very, very dumb question. We will be in Prague and will travel to Krakow by train. Because our trip combines a several weeks of both business and pleasure travel, there is no way to avoid carrying 2 large suitcases. Is there a place to accomodate them on the train? Is the overnight train or the day train (which involves a change in Katowice) preferable under the circumstances? Thanks so much!

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:02 AM

We just came back from Eastern Europe ( on June 12).
We traveled Prague-Warsaw and Krakow-Budapest by overnight trains and Warsaw-Krakow -morning express train.
We bought all tickets there.
I knew that you probably have much more questions than 'place for lagguage'.
Feel free to email me [email protected]
I'll answer to all your questions.
I also had a lot of questions before our trip. It was not our 1st trip to Europe, and we used already overnight trains in France and Spain, but all information related to this part of Eastern Europe was very confusing and now I know that it was not accurate.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not so much the problem of storing them once you are on the train, it's getting them onto it! You may have to be moving quickly to board, you have to carry them yourself, and go up a few very steep and narrow steps from the platform.

Hopefully you mean only 1 large suitcase per person? Because I think 2 each would be quite difficult to manage.

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM
rex

<<there is no way to avoid carrying 2 large suitcases...>>

Oh yes, there is... one "good-sized" rollaboard (21" or 22&quot, and one medium-sized duffel bag.

Your train travel will seem much easier if you have two bags of relatively similar size (per person) than one large bag.

A duffel is a good second bag because it weighs nothing (empty), and unless absolutely stuffed (and even then it is partly true) - - it can "slump" across the pull handle of the rollaboard for those times when you prefer to keep one hand free. Moving from place to place seems a lot easier when you have two bags of similar weight and can "balance" the arm/hand fatigue.

Spend $30 at K-mart if you need to, and do not take those "large" suitcases.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
just realized the OP asked this question back on the 2nd. Am guessing maybe they aren't checking back to hear our great advice!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:51 PM
rex

Doh! Right you are! Oh well, half of what we write is for all the "other readers" anyhow...