Luggage Space on Eurorail

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Suzy

Luggage Space on Eurorail

Hi. Have first class ticket on Eurail from Venice to Florence and also from Florence to Rome. Does anyone have any idea how much luggage room is available? I have a 29" upright and a small duffel bag. Will I have room to store it in a safe/non-obstructing area?

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:27 PM
xxx

This is starting to get annoying. Suzy, what the hell are you talking about? What is a Eurorail train? I've traveled all over Europe and I don't have a clue. Are you just calling all trains in Europe, Eurorails? Eurorail covers all public trains in Europe. Is that what you are talking about? If so, each train is different. There is no such thing as a Eurorail train.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Linda

If you travel in a compartment (don't always need a reservation), most of the trains on which I have been have 2 rows of luggage racks above both sides of seats. They are large enough to handle what you are describing.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Rex

Sorry about the impolite treatment by xxx, suzy. The point is correct; the presentation leaves much to be desired.

If you want, I can point you to a previous posting which explains that "Eurail" (as in eurailpass) is a made-up American term coined by the North America marketing consortium, www.raileurope.com

So, now, let me give you two answers to your question.

1. room to store it in a safe/non-obstructing area? Yes, unless someone beats you to it. There is typically a telephone booth sized space at the end of each car. If you get there first, 500 pounds of other people's luggage will go on top of yours. If you get there last, you will have to lift your 29 inch bag up over your head to get it on top of the other bags. Or somewhere in between.

2. Thus, answer number 2. Don't travel with anything larger than a 22 inch bag or something you can readily carry over your head up and down steps when filled. Let me repeat, your 29 inch upright will make your trip miserable. Or let me put it another way: your 29 inch upright will make your trip miserable.

Borrow (or buy for $29 at K-mart), a 22" rollaboard and move up to a medium duffel bag (it can be virtually as large as the rollaboard, but it should weigh less than eight OUNCES when empty).

You will thank me for answer number 2.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:59 AM
up

topping