Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Wheeled Duffle / Suitcase for 3 Months in Europe via Eurail?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am traveling for 3 months in Europe from March - June starting in Italy and making my way up (Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France before back to Italy for the flight back). I will be traveling via Eurail and staying in hostels. Here are the bags that I am currently considering - input please?

Also, regarding security in hostels: how would I keep these bags safe? Should I get a lock & also lock the bag to the bed or is that overkill? This is my first real experience traveling for an extended period of time!

http://www.tactics.com/dakine/split-.../black-stripes
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-U...upright+duffle
http://www.ebags.com/product/dakine/...ffle-lg/212979
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___84927#

Price is not a huge factor. Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 01:19 PM

there is no overkill to security in hostels where many people come and go, including thieves - do whatever you can - most hostels should have locking lockers - for trains try to be compact and always get a bag with wheels, as most have these days - lots of wheeling around train stations - luggage lockers may not take bigger bags either and throwing your baga in a station locker and looking around town is often nice - or as I do I leave my heavy bag in a train-station locker for the time I'm staying in a town if only a few days so I do not have to lug it to the hotel - it stays in the train station.

I have always found luggage lockers to be secure but you still are advised never to leave valuables in them. Carry some euro coins to get the lockers to work - baggage room officials are notorious about not giving out change needed to make them work.

For more luggage and train tips and lockers, etc and also things like sending your bags ahead, like possible in Switzerland - check out these IMO fantastic sites - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com; and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM

The first two are nice. I will highly recommend a drop bottom duffel bag--a separate compartment in the bottom. We used one on a trip where we had a need for some "presentable" clothes for receptions, and it was possible to keep them well pressed, etc.
Costco used to sell a REALLY nice one--don't know if they still do.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM

A 28" or 30" bag is way too large. You don't need to bring your entire wardrobe. Pack light and wash things as you go. You need to be able to lift your suitcase onto a train and go up stairs with it. Even rolling it you will be holding the entire weight and pulling it.

Do a search for packing light and what to bring for 3 months. It's the same as you'd bring for a week.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:11 PM

I don't like duffle bags because stuff moves around inside them too much.

Although you should get a bag with wheels, you should NOT get a bag any bigger than -- when packed -- you can comfortably carry without wheels and lift over your head when full. For a 3 month trip, you will be doing laundry, so you should be able to pack for a 10 day trip.

It is extremely difficult and can even be muscle-pulling to be lifting very heavy bags on and off trains. The carriage steps are very steep and narrow, other people are not going to get out of your way, you are sometimes in a desperate hurry to get on or off. Buy a bag whose full weight is easy to maneuver, that is not going to accidentally pull your off the train as you train to descend, or that gives you ripped tendons trying to heave it onto trains or into upper storage.

There are some travel websites for hostels (I think BootsNAll has one) where people who have stayed in specific hostels review them. You should read those reviews to satisfy yourself about safety issues and to know which ones you'd most enjoy.

Have a great trip! Sounds like a very grand adventure through some very exciting parts of Europe.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 04:37 PM

<i>Best Wheeled Duffle / Suitcase for 3 Months in Europe via Eurail?
Posted by: summerxdream on Jan 7, 13 at 5:13pm
Hi all,
I am traveling for 3 months in Europe from March - June starting in Italy and making my way up (Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France before back to Italy for the flight back). I will be traveling via Eurail and staying in hostels. Here are the bags that I am currently considering - input please?

Also, regarding security in hostels: how would I keep these bags safe? Should I get a lock & also lock the bag to the bed or is that overkill? This is my first real experience traveling for an extended period of time!</i>

Welcome to Fodor's Forum.

Here is experienced advice on luggage for a European train expedition, http://tinyurl.com/782skuv.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You need a much smaller bag or one that can be a backpack as well. Look at Eagle Creek bags, high quality, good features.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM

I clicked too soon. Here is an intro to the trains of Europe,
http://tinyurl.com/eym5b, and a peek at a few hostels,
http://tinyurl.com/3kjae8w.

"If it isn't nailed down it is mine. If I can pry it loose it isn't nailed down." Reportedly said by a robber baron of the late 1890s. Yes there are lockers in hostels but you will need to bring your own lock. The lockers I have seen accept only very small locks so get the best quality you can find. Then, never leave any valuables in your locker anyway. Professional thieves can smell stuff that you hold dear.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:08 PM

I was just looking online at a bag similar to the Osprey you listed. It was recommended by one of the Globetrotter Girls, 2 women who have been traveling around the world nonstop for the past 2 years. She swears by it. Her bag was smaller than the one you're considering, and has a detachable day pack. ( I agree that you need a smaller bag than the ones you're considering). Here's the link: http://goo.gl/V3crz

Here's a link to the Globetrotter Girls website, which has backpacking and travel info you may find useful:
http://globetrottergirls.com/travel-gear/
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:12 AM

Have you ever dragged a duffle bag up and down stairs or transported in in crowded buses? No other kind of luggage is as uncomfortable and un-handy as these. Get either a proper backpack or one of these convertible things that can be changed from trolley to backpack.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 03:00 AM

a. As quokka notes, most duffles are hard to manuever.
b. One of the many reasons I don't carry a pistol is the fear if using it indiscriminately when being bumped by a backpacker.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:42 AM

In any case if taking trains it is imperative to pack light and have a reasonable sized bag that you can lift high above your head into overhead luggage racks - racks that may already be quite full. So many times I see folks struggle with bags way too heavy or large - barely being able to raise them up to the racks.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM

the funniest story I have about someone carrying too heavy luggage was a young gal in the Nice train station who had a humongous backpack and when she tried to put it on fell over backwards!

Really for train travel it can be repeated over and over - lighter and smaller is best. As the old admonition says - "pack your bags with everything you need and then leave half of it at home" - can always buy things once there if needed.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:08 AM

I once made the mistake of taking a large rolling duffel to Italy, and I regretted it with every move we made! Much better to take two small bags than one large one.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input everyone! I think I'm definitely going to need something wheeled (I'm a 5'6'' 110lb girl, can't carry that much on my back...), but I'll look for something convertible. I might go to a luggage store here in NY to see them in person rather than purchase online. Anyone know of a good convertible wheeled bag?
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM

<i>summerxdream on Jan 8, 13 at 4:40pm
Thanks for all of the input everyone! I think I'm definitely going to need something wheeled (I'm a 5'6'' 110lb girl, can't carry that much on my back...), </i>

Looks like you aren't paying attention to everyone above. The main point is that anything over 21" is too big, as in TOO BIG. If you fill a 30" whatever it will weight half as much as you. You will pay dearly just to get it on the plane. If you can't carry it on your back you can't carry it, period. PalenQ probably has more experience on the trains than anyone at Fodor's. Read his and the other messages again. If not, we expect to hear from you when you get back with the main point being "I brought too much stuff." This may sound harsh but regard it as just a little tough love from your invisible uncle looking out for you, as are all of the above.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
As someone that often travels alone on trains, I prefer wheeled duffels over any other type of luggage I've tried. The ones you've listed are a bit too big. Look for some smaller ones. Do not get one that is also a backpack (the wheels are annoying if you attempt to wear it). You need a smaller duffel on wheels (lightest weight you can find) and a separate backpack.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM

. You need a smaller duffel on wheels (lightest weight you can find) and a separate backpack.>

I suggest carrying only one large bag, not two and something you can put on your back say to climb stairs or navigate crowded train corridors and it is obviously easier to stow one large bag rather than two.

I have for years use my Eagle Creek backpack on wheels and the wheels are still in top shape and I've wheeled that thing around cities to hotels or just around train station vicinities waiting for a train - would be hard to do with two sizable piece of luggage - in any case IME everything has to go on wheels when required - you will have long walks in train stations and up and down stairs, etc.

Less is more better in this regard.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I suggest carrying only one large bag, not two and something you can put on your back say to climb stairs or navigate crowded train corridors and it is obviously easier to stow one large bag rather than two<<<

One large bag is not easier for me to manage. Two smaller bags as I mentioned are much easier. Perhaps for guys or heftier people, one large bag might be easier, but for people more petite it doesn't work as well. I traveled with a backpack on wheels one trip and will never again. The wheels really reduce the amount of usable space and add weight to the backpack. A plain old backpack like high school students use, works best for me. I can walk long distances with a backpack and pull the duffel with no problems and it's much easier boarding trains than trying to lift a large bag. YMMV.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM

kybourbon - I totally agree with 2 smaller bags. Pal is a man so he can handle the larger bag but I don't have the upper arm strength any more. And the OP is a slight woman so I don't know how much she could carry or lift. Even though she hasn't checked in for 5 days I hope she heeds the advice about the 30" bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -