Luggage on the tube?

Sep 25th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Luggage on the tube?

Does anyone know if one is allowed to take luggage on the underground? That is, in taking the tube from Heathrow into London, is there a problem taking luggage?
Sep 25th, 2003, 01:56 PM

When we were in London last year we saw luggage on the tube everywhere. Usually though it was one or two bags per person (otherwise not practical). We plan to take luggage on the tube from Heathrow to London when we go back in November.
Sep 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Yes you may take luggage. Yes there's a problem.

The carriages that go to Heathrow have slightly more space without seats than ordinary Tube carriages. But there's some distance between you (if you're sitting) and your luggage.

This concerns some people, who insist on standing next to their luggage - that is, at the doorway. Which, to put it mildly, is anti-social.

If you've bulky luggage, PLEASE don't take the Tube. Take the pricier Heathrow Express, or the Airbuses. Both are designed for people with bulky luggage. The Tube was designed for an era when people with possessions didn't take the Tube.

Which is not to say there are no anti-social people. Us long-suffering commuters just put up with it.

One day, one of us will snap...
Sep 25th, 2003, 02:16 PM

I was about to say that taking luggage is fine, but be prepared for some nasty stares. I don't quite understand this since I've seen many locals travel the tube taking home giant boxes containing TV's, computers, and even fair sized pieces of furniture. I guess that's OK to do so long as you live there, but not if you're a tourist?
Sep 25th, 2003, 06:25 PM
ron

Good grief. The Piccadilly Line was extended to Heathrow in 1977 precisely for the purpose of transporting travellers with luggage to and from London. If, after 26 years, commuters still have a problem with that, and they haven't moved, they should seek psychiatric help. I believe about 1/6th of the 60 million passengers that use Heathrow each year use the tube (compared to about 5 or 6% that use the Heathrow Express).
Sep 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM

My wife and I took two suitcases each on the tube this summer. No problem.
Sep 25th, 2003, 07:31 PM

I always take the tube to Russell Square from Heathrow, and never have a problem with a suitcase (not a huge one, though!)
Sep 26th, 2003, 12:30 AM

As a couple of posters said, the line to Heathrow has extra room near the doors to put your luggage, but if you have to change to another line, that won't be the case.

By all means take the Picadilly Line from Heathrow into central London, but then switch to a taxi when you get to the station nearest your hotel. You wouldn't want to cart your luggage through the tunnels between platforms anyway.
Sep 26th, 2003, 01:43 AM

As a Londoner I also use the tube to get to the airport, on occasion.

I don't have a problem with people carrying lots of luggage but it would certainly be better if rush hour could be avoided. I know that's not always possible but it is harder not to get cross when one ends up late for work because someone has taken up half a carriage with 2 huge suitcases each for a family of 5 and one has to wait for the next train...

That said, if that's when your plane arrives, that's when it arrives.

Just be a little thick skinned but also try and show some consideration during rush hour for commuters who are often knackered and have been pushed to the limit by endless delays, day in day out...

Sep 26th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Another disadvantage of taking the tube with your luggage is that some stations either don't have lifts or the lifts aren't working. Be prepared to carry your luggage up several flights of stairs- a good incentive to pack light!
Sep 26th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Where in London will you be staying? For a little more take the Heathrow Express or book a private car - the tube, especially at rush hour can be a little daunting if you have never experienced it before. I never use the tube for airport connections, try Aircars2000 for faultless service - www.aircars2000.com - great personal service.
Sep 26th, 2003, 07:25 AM

A cheap alternative via public transit to the Tube into London is to take the Feltham Rail Link, entailing a bus from Heathrow to nearby Feltham, with frequent trains into Waterloo station in the heart of town. Trains of course are more luggage-friendly than the tube. The tube is fairly straightforward if just taking the Piccadilly Line from the airport, but can be a nightmare if having to change trains in crowds, up stairs and the not unusual out-of-order escalator. The Fletham Rail/air Link runs regularly as an organized link between the airport and not only London but points south and west of England from Feltham.
Sep 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM

If somebody were so discourteous as to give me a nasty stare for having
much luggage on the tube I should smile and say directly to them: Isnt it a
nuisance ? Gets in everyone s way. Roll on Crosslink.

Crosslink is a proposal for strengthened service from the far west to the
far east of London, and the government refuse to fund it.

By all means take the Piccadilly Line towards your hotel, but if your hotel
is near Gloucester Road, South Kensington, Westminster or the Strand please
cross the platform at Hammersmith to the District Line. If it is near High
Street Kensington, Notting Hill, Paddington, Edgware Road, Bayswater or
Euston Square please cross the platform at Hammersmith, and again at South
Kensington to the Circle Line. The platforms are eight yards across.

None of this travel involves several flights of stairs.

[email protected]
Sep 27th, 2003, 04:40 AM

My fiance and I took two pieces of luggage on the tube in June. No problems at all. On the return to Luton Airport it was not rush hour but it was still JAM PACKED. It was ok though... No weird looks either.
Sep 27th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Have done this a number of times but there is luggage and then there is luggage. Depends on how much and at what time of day. Depending on where you are going, the Airbus may be better. For example, one way airbus fare to Holland Park is GBP4, to go to the city center is GBP.
Sep 27th, 2003, 06:50 AM

I took the Tube from Waterloo and the Airlink Express bus to Heathrow since I was coming in from France and leaving back to the States. Maybe the tube from Heathrow is fine but I liked the bus better. I didn't have problems with the Tube being crowded. My problem was as one poster already said - carrying my bags up and down stairs. I liked the bus because once I was on I could enjoy the scenic views of London.