Heathrow to Russell Sq transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken the tube from Heathrow Terminal 4 to London before, and I didn't mind since I just travel with a cary-on and knapsack/small backpack. <BR><BR>Now I'm returning and I'll be staying in Russell Square. It's on the Picadilly line so I wouldn't have to transfer with the Tube, but friends have said to take the Airbus (Rt. 2) since it goes right to Russell Square. <BR><BR>Others have said to take the Heathrow Express train (it's fast &amp; comfortable), but I'd have to then take a cab or tube with a transfer (@ King's Cross) to get to Russell Sq. This seems like the least practical option and not time-saving with the transfers, but perhaps I'm missing something.<BR><BR>Any comments on the Airbus? Pros &amp; cons of my choices would be helpful.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't see the sense in the Heathrow Express option given your Russell Square destination.<BR><BR>If your luggage is very manageable (and it sounds like your's is), I think the tube is the most efficient and least cost choice. The Airbus is a more comfortable ride and luggage can be stowed. But it takes longer and I think the above ground risks of a traffic jam are greater than on the tube. You'll know at Heathrow if there are any delays on the Picadilly Line. <BR><BR>
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:58 AM

We were in London two weeks ago. When we came into Heathrow, it made more sense for us to buy an all-day Zone 1-6 Travel Pass for the tube &amp; bus system. This covered our trip into the city and all the rest of the day's bus hopping.<BR><BR>On the way back, we took the Airbus because it was the only public transport that we needed on our last day. I would suggest that you consider your overall public transport needs for your day of arrival and day of departure, in order to make the best choice for you.<BR><BR>Have a great time in London - we had a ball!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:16 AM

Last year I went from Heathrow to Russell Square and Russell Square to Heathrow on the Picadilly line. For the budget minded, it's the best option if you're light on luggage. The tube is reallllly crowded in Central London depending on the time of day, but doable considering your small luggage. There is a lift at Russell Square from the tube to the street so you won't have to haul your luggage up stairs! I'd say do it and save yourself some money.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:30 AM

I go to London often and always stay in the Bloomsbury area. I have found taking the tube to Russell Square from Heathrow to be quite easy, even with a fairly heavy suitcase. The Russell Square tube station is easy and doesn't involve stairs. I have also taken the Airbus 2 from Russell Square to Heathrow, and find it very comfortable and easy. I haven't taken it from Heathrow, though, as I find the tube so convenient and economical.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:08 PM

Russell Square has had some problems for awhile now.<BR>Russell Square Station has been closed due to defective lifts.<BR>This will affect journeys from 05:49 on 24/03/03.<BR>Check here for updates:<BR>http://www.thetube.com/content/longterm/
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions and the recent info on Russell Square's station. I'm not going until the end of May so I'll keep an eye out for updates. I'll stick with the Tube as long as the station is OK.