Luggage limits for airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the info for Air France, but can't figure out if 2 checked pieces allowed and 70 pounds allowed on flights from US means each piece or a total of 70 pounds. 140 is an awfull lot! Anyone know for sure? No lectures on traveling light, please. I already know that. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Hi Janeg,

It looks like the restriction is 2 pieces for a total of 70 lbs. The web site states:

"For flights from the U. S, baggage in the hold should weigh no more than 70 pounds and be limited to 2 luggage pieces."

adrienne
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think it's 70 each but they will charge you for overweight no matter what it is. (I'm not sure on the exact weight.)
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:33 PM

70 pounds total!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:37 PM

We'll be flying to Paris in July on United. Their allowance is 2 checked bags each, weighing no more than 70 lbs. each, total 140 lbs. You might want to check with a "live" Air France agent, rather than speculate.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:40 PM

Hi Janeg,

Your question reminded me of a discussion I had a few weeks ago on luggage restrictions and I was sure it was 70 lbs total. I just phoned Air France and was told that it's 70 lbs each piece for checked baggage. However, there is a dimension restriction. For the first piece it's 62 inches in length, width, and height. The second piece must be no larger than 55 inches LxWxH.

Your carry ons (2 pieces) cannot be larger than a combined total of 26 lbs and 45 inches LxWxH.

As I mentioned on another post recently I watched the person checking in behind me be rejected for 3 small carry ons. Air France is very strict about limiting to 2 carry ons.

Bonnes Vacances,

adrienne
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
At your request no more traveling light lectures, but *WOW* from adrienne's research this means you could take a total of 166 lbs. between 4 pieces of luggage!?*!?*

Please say it ain't so~ haha.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne- you do such good work. One teeny, weeny Q. I know the total is 26# but is each csrry-on allowed to be 45 inches L+W+H, or do you add both together to get 45? Is one of the carry on's a purse?

Suze- no way. 1- 26-incher each & 1 carry on, plus a purse for me.

BTW my husband seems to think it was 70# each because "they" figured a bag more than that would be too heavy for the average baggage handler. And there are OSHA rules about lifting without devices. But I thought that was 50#
Too confusing, I shall take to my bed.
G'night ladies & gentlemen.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 01:54 AM

Some airlines must have changed the requirements. I recently flew American and their luggage weight limit now is 50#. Airlines also have weight limits for carry-on.

Check with your airlines before flying with those kitchen sinks.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:18 AM

I tried the AF site. No details about baggage size and weight except,"only one piece of carry-on baggage. Since AF is allied with Delta..maybe the Delta numbers are the same for AF. I was going to query AF but couldn't find an Email address. There are differences in baggage limits depending on ticket class. Load a bag to 70 lbs..try moving it! Airline marketing/sales departments should/could screen these postings. On my last flight from Seattle to Warszawa I checked two 70 lb bags..the gate agent then told me to check my luggage carrier! It was ok. My carry-on was used to buy duty free liquor. At Warszawa-no checked luggage. Two days later it was delivered at midnight to Lodz. One bag had gon to Bombay the other spent time in Paris. All was intact...plus that all had skipped custom checks.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Baggage limits and fees. Delta notes that a 3rd checked piece will cost $40, if over 70lbs - another $80 and if oversize - another $80. Possible - $200.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:32 AM
sandi

From the States "over the Pond" to Europe it's 2 pcs. at 70-lbs each, one bag 62", the other 55" (LxWxD) and the carry-on 45" (25-lbs). Once in Europe if your bags aren't thru-checked to the final destination and you have separate tickets (or fly around the Continent separate from your trans-Atlantic ticket), then Coach passengers are restricted to 20Kg (44-lbs). And the air carriers are charging for excess weight.

Going from the States across the Pacific, each airline seems to have different limits but it seems it's based on Class of Service. So Coach is limited to 44-lbs.,but higher limits for Business & First (sorry, don't have).

Just recently the weight limit has been reduced for travel within the States "downwards" to 50-lbs./bag.

Regardless what they are today, and with the rules and regs changing constantly, you should contact the carrier and verify each time you're about to get going somewhere.

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone considered how heavy 70 pounds is per piece? That is either one humungous piece of luggage jam packed or it's full of concrete. Even at my heyday of shopping and packing everything, I never hit 50 pounds! I could understand it coming home if you shopped like mad...but going over? What exactly are you taking?

Plus, many airlines won't carry bags over a certain wight, or rather the baggage handlers unions of certain airports won't allow the handlers to handle anything over a certain weight, so I'd be sure to get this straight before going!

I have to second the recommendation of someone else, if you're transferring or moving around on your own, the lighter the better, particularly with the lack of elevators and bell-hops in most of Europe.