New policy with checked luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody been charged a fee for bags that exceed a certain weight? Our family of four always has packed one large bag to check since it is easier to carry with all the kids diaper bags,etc. We were charged $25 for a 58lb. suitcase(8lbs. over). How new is this system?
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 04:52 AM

I've never been charged.
There have always been, in my memory, size and weight restrictions. Most, if not all, airlines, post these restrictions on their websites.
Some airlines, at certain airports, are more diligent than others about checking sizes and weights. In other words, on any given day, at any given airport, with the same overweight or oversized luggage, you may OR may not be charged.
But I don't chance it.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:26 AM

It's been widely reported on Fodor's for the last several months that airlines are now actually levying the charges for overweght bags. I believe this became common practice when they also reduced the domestic weight limits to 50 lbs. (I believe it used to be the same as international flights which is 70 lbs -- at least on Delta.) I've never personally had to pay but I also try to keep my luggage down so that I can handle it. I'm not sure I could lift it myself it it weighed 50 lbs, let alone more than that.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Unfortunately, most US airlines instituted this policy last February. I do not believe that all foreign carriers have followed suit.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:33 AM

By the way, I just did a spot check of airline baggage policies using Delta, American, United, and Southwest. All clearly post baggage size and weight restrictions and overage charges on the web sites. The first three all have a weight limit of 50 lbs while Southwest weight limit is 70 lbs.

Bottom line: The way things change with travel any more, never assume that it's "the way it's always been" or even whatever it was last week.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Hey doc,
Do you mind sharing which airline is charging you? I have had a few overweight bags @ 52, 54lbs but CO, AA or HA did not charge me, just warned us to pack lighter next time.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

John,

My family of four check one bag with CO and we were charged $25. The gate agent said I should leave 8 lbs. behind. My response was"why is it not per passenger rather than per bag checked" . A family of four checked four bags right next to us that weighed 110 lbs. Same passenger amount,twice the weight,but no charge. Again,it is much easier for us to pack one bag,but we will do differently next time.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Airlines are trying to discourage heavy luggage due to workers' comp claims for back injuries. That's why one great big heavy bag for a family of four doesn't have the same impact as four smaller ones.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Reply to Doc, I suppose it is easier for the airlines to impose and enforce the 50lbs per bag regardless of # of passengers.

For what its worth we usually check an empty suitcase for souvenirs, or carry a light briefcase or backpack for carry on, and if necessary could potentially move contents from an overweight bag to a lighter "souvenir bag" or carry on briefcase or backpack.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:38 AM

doc, while there are many times we would prefer that policies be different than they are, in this case the policies are clearly stated. The limits are per bag, not per passenger.

You can get a lot of hints here about how to manage two smaller pieces instead of the one large one. For example, I don't know if you use rolling luggage (which I'd never do without) but many smaller luggage pieces (tote bags, etc.) now have a "sleeve" to allow them to fit over the handle and ride on top of the roll along. I also find that sometimes it's easier to pay the $2 (or whatever it is) for a luggage cart than try to handle it all otherwise.

In addition to plummie's comment about worker's comp, look at another aspect. When you try to pack items into a finite space, it's easier to fit more smaller items than larger ones. The total cubic space of two or more smaller items may be the same as one larger item but the way items fit into the space is not the same. (Even when I travel by auto, I use smaller bags to allow me to better fit them in the trunk. And to still be able to lift them, of course.) gt; Although we are talking about weight, not size here, the two often go hand-in-hand. (And you yourself said you find it easier to carry one large bag.) I would think the challenge of trying to best fit luggage into a cargo hold is difficult enough without everyone carrying the largest luggage they can find.

Sorry you learned the hard way. Could have been worse. But the great folks here will help make it better and less painful next time.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:43 AM
caribtraveler

doc,
a few months ago (can't remember exactly which month) a "usair" commuter plane crashed on take-off in charlotte. the investigation found the plane was overweight. after that crash, most airlines began enforcing their weight policies. you'd think they'd just order passengers to get rid of the excess weight and not let those bags get on board for a fee (but $$ talks i guess). however, i've seen some airlines enforce the policy by making people take off stuff from their luggage.
last june, we flew continental and were about 10 pounds overweight (that's what traveling with an infant will do!). the policy was then in effect. we were told the only reason we weren't being charged is because we bought our tickets BEFORE the policy was enforced (their reasoning was kinda silly but we didn't complain).

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Perhaps someone can invent luggage with a built in weight sensor, as bathroom scales are not always available.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:13 AM

It may also depend if you use a skycap curbside checkin. We flew DL in August and had a wheeled suiter bag that we hadn't weighed--even though I had noticed the stories about weight restrictions, I didn't think what our suiter with two pairs of hiking boots, etc. would weigh. We checked in via curbside skycap in ATL and it arrived with "heavy" tag. When checking in for return at Kalispell, the agent told us it was 8 lbs overweight so we'd have to take some things out. Surprised as this was the first time I'd faced this, we took the bag aside, transfered items to our carryon backpacks, and returned to different agent who told us it was 3 lbs overweight. The first agent told her we had just taken some items out, so she said they'd let it go that time. I later realized that the first agent had said, "it's 8 lbs overweight--you'll have to take some things out--do you want a box?" and I thought, no, I'd rather add it to our packs than have a box--he really was asking if I wanted one of those boxes they use for garmet bags that I could have stuffed dirty clothes in and checked as another bag--we had one too heavy bag but not too many total bags. Duh--he probably felt sorry for someone so dense. I will weigh our bag for ski trip this winter--ski boots are really heavy.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:21 AM
caribtraveler

if i may add... even though the usair crash was the catalyst for airlines enforcing the weight restrictions, plummie's point about workers' comp is a good one although i think airlines care less about that than having to pay off families of victims who died because they simply overloaded the plane (can you imagine how much usair had to pay off those families??)...am i being cynical?
i also remember a baggage handler REFUSING to pick up a passenger's checked suitcase because it was overweight leaving the poor woman at the airline counter to do it.

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:26 AM
GoTravel

The platform you set your luggage on is a scale.

Doc, this isn't new.

The biggest reason I've never over stuffed is that a girlfriend tosses bags for USAir and she said they purposely abuse overweight bags.

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:47 AM
TC

With NW Airline, I believe Business, First and Elite passengers are allowed more weight per bag. I think you are also allowed two bags per passenger. That's a lot of pounds before one would be charged for excess. We were informed of this at least as long ago as last February, because I remember being worried about dive bags being overweight.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:47 AM

In addition to enforcing the weight limit the airlines are also enforcing a size limit on baggage--total of 62 inches.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Coming back from London recently, the ticket agent made me take out items from my checked luggage as it was 3 kilos (I think that was it - I'm afraid I'm not so good w/ the metric system!) overweight. This was just a few minutes before she then made me go through the suitcase AGAIN to search for the souvenir matchbook I honestly reported that I had in there. Of course this was AFTER I'd already been randomly picked for a search by a security person. Yes, I was feeling quite picked on that day!!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:22 PM
E

I find the enforcement of weight limits annoying, but can't really argue with it, especially as they give you the opportunity to remove items to bring bags under the limit. My favorite suitcase is all but unusable now, because it tends to weigh about 60lbs when packed full (but not stuffed). So I pack two smaller bags, and always make sure to have an "overflow" bag handy--because, indeed, how am I to weigh the things in advance??
BTW, I have also found that curbside check-in desks *sometimes* don't have scales, and one can "get away with" some extra weight--but not too much, and not for long.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 02:04 PM

What about the weight of carry on bags? In the past the US carriers seemed to just worry about the dimensions of the carry ons, if you could lift and carry it the weight didn't matter.

Have they started inforcing the weight limits?

Keith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -