Luggage ; Does size matter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the size charts at ebags for the length of our trip, I find we need four suitcases, each 29”+. Really, what do you take for month trip in France? Here are some parameters. It will be spring. We will check two bags. We don’t want to visit a coin laundry more than once weekly. We don't do laundry in sinks. We change underwear, socks, shirts daily. We dress up for special dinners at least every second night so we take dress clothes plus casual clothes. My clothes have XL tags in them. We stay 5-8 days in one place. We will be checking this luggage on the plane. We will be traveling by train and car. Sandra tells me that 4 pairs of shoes for her is cutting it down to a bare minimum. I take 3 pairs of size 11’s. We have been shopping for luggage for two days and those 20" rollaboards are the size of a lunch box. I have the utmost respect for all those people who say they get all their things into a 20-22” suitcase, but I don't think so.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM
JN

WE've gone for anywhere from 3-5 weeks in the past and never took that much stuff. The largest bag we took was 25-26". The trade-off?
--Fewer shoes,
--more mix and match clothing
--lighter weight stuff from Travelsmith
--more frequent laundry.

Huge bags are a pain to lift and take on trains and with the new baggage limits, airlines will charge you a fortune if over the 50 lb limit (less for Euro carriers).

If you're staying a week, can you find a place with a washer/dryer? Then you can do this task at night or early am when still in room.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Then don't! There doesn't seem to be any reason for you to pack lightly. I assume you are a big strong man who can manage carrying luggage, you'll have a car, you have your dressing routine down pat, so don't worry about it.

Have fun.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM

All you need is money. You can get everything taken care of for you. Why worry?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Have you traveled by train before? I'm not sure how you can manage those huge heavy suitcases. Do you have any large suitcase? How about packing one and see how heavy it is. I could not even lift one of those large ones packed full! Will you lug all this or will your wife be handling hers? Also, will they fit in your rental car? If you will be parking it in the open w/the luggage in it you may be tempting thieves.

Not to be negative...just food for thought.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hi robjame, I have a 29inch suitcase and it is great for long trips (just have to make sure it is not over the weight limit allowed by the airline you will be flying with). When I have used my 29inch it always weighs less than 50 pounds so I haven't had a problem.

But, here is my question. You say you are thinking of taking four suitcases, each 29 inches. Are there four of you travelling together or just two? One 29 inch suitcase per person should be very adequate.

And here is my concern..since you say you will be travelling part of the time by car I truly do not think you will be able to get a rental car that will hold four 29inch suitcases..plus I assume each person will have a carryon bag? If there are two of you travelling you could put some luggage in the back seat but than I would be hesitant to leave the car unattended. And if there are four of you there would not be room in the back seat for luggage.

Also just notice something, you say "We will check two bags". You are not suggesting that you plan on taking the other two 29inch suitcases on the plane with you, are you? That will not be allowed. Best read your airline website as the the maximum size allowed for your carryons. Also the number of bags, personal articles (purse/laptop) etc. that you can bring on board with you.

Since you will be staying 5-8 days in each piece just have a commercial laundry wash and dry or dryclean your clothes.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
take as big as you can carry - then you'll be convinced to pack lighter next time.

Some problems taking really large bags: getting them on and off trains - quickly; having a car trunk large enough so <u>everything</u> can be hidden out of sight; hotel rooms not large enough to leave you room to walk around both the bed and the bags; not enough closet space to unpack everything..
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Stay in an apartment, two pairs of shoes (max.) (&amp; you're wearing one of them). We would take two 22&quot; bags + a back-pack &amp; stroller for two adults + a 3 year old &amp; infant (11 months) for any similar trip. We also take 'throw away' clothes depending on the destination.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM

A note about trains and large bags -- my DH and I got inadvertently seperated on our last trip in London, as we were getting off the train. I got off first, but my rollbag got caught on the doorway. I finally tumbled out of the doorway, but then it shut in his face -- leaving me at the terminal, and him on the rapidly receding train. That's when we found out our cell phones didn't (despite Cingular's assurances before we left) work in the UK. We had another train to catch. We missed it, as he had a 20 minute journey to the next stop before he had to get off and come back in the other direction.

Don't carry bags you both can't handle in adverse conditions!!!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Is your trip fixed or flexible? Meaning, do you know exactly where you will be on XX date in the middle of your trip, or are you winging it?

If you know where you are going to be, there are companies that specialize in shipping stuff abroad so it is waiting for you when you arrive. Take half of what you need in two carry-ons. Ship the other two carryons to your midpoint destination. When you pick up your shipped luggage mid-point, ship your dirty clothes back to the US.

I'm sorry I can't give you a recommendation for one of these services. I'm actually one of those people who have learned how to pack a month's worth of clothes into carry-on (and yes, I wash clothes in sinks).

I also think utilizing a commercial laundry service every week is a good suggestion, unless you are planning to spend every night in a different town.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

The 4 X 29&quot; was the ebags recommendation, not at all what we are considering. We are thinking of one 24&quot;, one 26&quot; and two small carryons(rolling totes) that attach when needed. Is this reasonable?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:52 PM

When I read you need three pairs of shoes, I took you for a six-footer, so carrying a lot of luggage should be no problem.

Seriously, I would first look at the number of shoes you are taking. At most, I would take, for each, a good pair of walking shows, and a pair of evening shoes. I would encourage your wife to find some evening shoes that go with everything.

I don't see many dress clothes in restaurants, even where the guidebooks say they are required. Once we went into an elegant restaurant in Venice, and I (and the servers) was the only man there wearing a tie. I still take a tie, but have abandoned the suit for some nice pants (that I can wear during the day, also) and a sweater. I think your wife could get by with a very limited amount of evening clothes, especially if they are stylistically interchangeable; you will be in a given place only a few days, so its not like someone is going to see you over and over again and wonder why you never change clothes.

Don't forget to bring washcloths (fairly often in Europe these are considered personal items and are not provided for you) and some large plastic baggies (the type that zip closed, available in supermarkets) for carrying wet items, and even for organizing your other items.

I don't like the idea of a wheeled tote, since people often seem to struggle with them during boarding and deplaning, and since it attaches to your roller bag, the wheels are superfluous. I think a boarding bag (a substantial shoulder bag) is preferable as you can store it under the plane seat where it is more accessable during the flight than in the overhead bins.

Assuming that you will be checking some luggage, I would suggest you get a manageable roller bag, each, 26 inch, or larger even if it is easy to handle (your wife might prefer a smaller one than you; a visit to a luggage store for some hands on testing is a good idea). I would use them as your main luggage, but keep enough stuff in your carryaboard luggage to survive a day or two if your charged bags are delayed.

I would then get two shoulder bags to carry aboard. Once you are off the plane, these can be attached to your roller and carried easity as a single piece. Finally, I would consider getting a 22 or 24 inch case (if wheeled, consider if you will be able to maneuver this while pulling your roller/boarding bag. Thats a total of five pieces, which should be manageable (only a very small amount of your trip will involve schlepping all of these bags). The last bag could be checked or carried on and put in the overhead bin.

Don't stuff the last bag; it is primarily for bringing home souveneirs. Some people recommend abandoning some of your inexpensive clothing items to make room for souveneirs. Because we have been travelling a while, my wife and I have learned how to get by with less stuff (we try to stay in apartments with washers, so we can do laundry overnight and get by with half the clothes, and avoid spending our time in laundries), so our fifth bag is often empty on the trip over; but I do like to have my souveneirs in carry on on return to minimize the chance of theft or breakage.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM

A 29&quot; bag can be very unweieldy, especially if you're using trains--and the suitcases don't necessarily fit nicely into a car's trunk.. Try to work with a 26&quot; plus another roll-on of a decent size. You never know when you might have to heft and/or lug a big, heavy suitcase for a long distance up and down stairs. No fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM

We've always managed comfortably with a couple of 26&quot; suitcases for trips over 2 weeks. We haven't experienced any problems on trains or in automobiles with that size. Everybody is different--some people would do fine with a carry-on for that long.

But we don't take real dressy clothes.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
&lt;&lt;We are thinking of one 24&quot;, one 26&quot; and two small carryons(rolling totes) that attach when needed. Is this reasonable?&gt;&gt;

Yes, that sounds perfect. Although maybe your carry-ons don't need to be small or roll (the wheel and frame mechanism makes bags much heavier and takes up room within the suitcase) as long as they attach to the larger suitcase you have.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM

We find that even a 26 in bag is too big for train travel without alot of hassle, and you'll have to leave your bag unattended at the end of the car, if there is space. I found that a Jaguar that i rented from Hertz would not hold two 26 in.bags in the trunk, too big.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Your thoughts sound much better then EBay's recommendations robjame. I agree about the carryon's, no wheels, but make sure you can slip them over the handle of the two bags you will be checking in for ease when walking with them.

One idea I have read here many times is that a lot of people put a folded up soft sided duffle bag in their checkin luggage. At the end of the trip they fill that with their dirty laundry and check that and they put most of their stuff in their check in luggage (not medication, glasses, documents of course) and put their breakable purchases in their carryon. I have never done that buy think I will in the future.

BTW, I have always taken a maximum of three pair of shoes (wearing one pair one the plane of course) even for two months in Italy. That has always worked fine for me. And I do love shoes!

Regarding &quot;dinner clothes&quot;. A black skirt and a black pair of pants with a few dressy tops could cut down on a lot of dressy clothes.

I have always found if I have enough for one week I have enough for two months. The only time I brought way to much to Italy was because of friends there saying we were going to do different activities (horseback riding, sailing, hike in the Dolomites) and for various reasons none of these activities worked out. I thought I was going to go out of my mind with all the &quot;stuff&quot; I had packed. Less really does make the trip more pleasant IMHO. Best wishes that the two of you have a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM

LoveItaly, that is the approach I use (folded duffle, breakables in carryon) and I can get by with 22&quot; suitcase for winter travel for 2 weeks, doing minimal laundry. I always bring 3 pair shoes, and enough undies for every day and lots of first layer tops. In winter I only pack only dark pants for dress (usually black), that way I can use a more utilitarian pair of shoes than if I bring a skirt. Dress it all up with scarf, great sweater, sparkly earrings, and voila! In summer, I might bring a skirt and wear comfy sandals for dress.

My husband wears a lot of tan chino slacks here in the US, but has stopped wearing them in Europe, as most of the men seem to wear dark slacks (or jeans).

I think 24&quot; would be gracious plenty for 3 weeks in spring.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM

&lt;&lt;We are thinking of one 24&quot;, one 26&quot; and two small carryons(rolling totes) that attach when needed. Is this reasonable?&gt;&gt;

This sounds very reasonable to me, also. That's what I take and I don't have any problem (train or elsewhere), and I'm just an avg size woman. I'm with your wife, there is no way I could travel with only a couple pairs of shoes, I would not go. I care what I look like, and don't want to wear the exact same pair of shoes every single day for all activities. I don't think it's good for your feet, anyway. I would take at least two daytime walking-type shoes, slightly different colors/styles, plus one &quot;nice&quot; pair for evening, and something in-between that could be worn with slacks and maybe skirt and could be worn walking around if you aren't walking miles or hiking (nice loafer or something).

Well, you can decide on your own, but I think ebags is nuts, but there is no reason to travel with so little if you don't want. I do not wash things in the sink EXCEPT for underwear, socks, and maybe a Tshirt or some top like that. This is a lot easier in the summer when you have lighter weight clothes.

Actually, I wouldn't want to travel without washing out the underwear and socks, because then you have to lug around a lot of dirty, smelly stuff. I wash it out even if I might not need to wear it. It doesn't sound like much, but if you are going for a month all of that extra underwear and socks will add up. Besides, you said you don't want to spend time in coin laundries, so either pay to send the stuff out or wash it out yourself, I'd say (underwear).

I will admit I would never ever wash out pants in the sink while traveling. I've seen folks on Fodors talk about washing out entire pairs of pants or slacks in the sink. yech, not to mention they wouldn't get that clean or look so good, and would have to be very thin material. Even I am not that cheap.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM

On one trip my teenage son washed out his jeans in the sink and then carried them around for days waiting for them to dry. We sure teased him.

I missed the part about train travel by robjame, that makes all the difference. And size does matter in the trunks (of cars!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -