Luggage at Train Station Naples

Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Luggage at Train Station Naples

I only have four days in Sorrento and lots to see. On the day we take the train from Naples to Rome, would it be feasible to leave our luggage at the train station and visit the Archeological Museum?

Any other suggestions to fit all we want to to?

Tues Arrive from US via Rome - train to Naples, car to sorrento - Relax

Wed. - Almalfi coast -haven't decided to spurge on car or take a bus

Thurs - Pompei - must see

Friday - Capri

Sat -to Rome

You can see the delimma - unless we go to the museum before going to Pompei - we will be there in early May - perhaps ending up in Pompei in aftenoon won't be too hot?

Joelle
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:51 AM
yk

Hi Joelle-

According to TWO guidebooks that I have (both 2004 edition), both stated that there IS luggage check at the Naples (Centrale) train station. I'm sure someone on this board will have 1st hand information as well.

It sounds like you really want to go to Pompeii, in that case, I suggest you give Pompeii one full day. I was there for 4hours and did not get to see 1/2 of the sights I had wanted to.

That will leave you with going to Naples' museum on your 1st day. The downside is that you will be quite exhausted just from the flight. Hopefully you'll be able to catch some zzzz on the ES train (2hrs) to Naples, enough to *charge* you to tour the museum.

Hopefully early May will not be too hot yet, but make sure you bring plenty of water to Pompeii. There used to be plenty of water in Pompeii via the aqueducts, but I don't think they have been working since 79AD ;-)
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:54 AM
ira

Hi Joelle,

Am I correct that you want to fly for 12 hrs to Rome, get to the train station (3 hr), train to Naples (2 hr), take the metro to the museum (1 hr), (at which point you have been up for 24 hr) see the museum (2 hr), return to train station and get car (2 hr) and then drive to Sorrento (1 hr)?

I suggest that on Thursday you get up early, take the Circumvesuviana to Naples and see the Museum and do Pompeii in the afternoon.

You could do it in reverse if you would rather see Pompeii in the morning without taking much away from your enjoyment of Pompeii.

PS, the "secret room" in the museum is just a collection of erotica, a lot of it fake, collected by some Cardinal or other.

Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:00 AM
ira

PPS,

This link will show you where the left luggage area is

http://www.napolipiazzagaribaldi.it/...nt=m_5&lang=en
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:29 AM

It sounds like a good plan on the Naples-Rome leg.
Luggage storage was open 3 weeks ago so no problem there.
It's just down the hall from the last track (24-25) in the Centrale Station.
Also after you have your tickets and bags in front of Track 16-18 there is a waiting room for ticketed passengers only. It gives you a quiet place to sit and also keeps you away from the con-men that will hassle you.
If you haven't been to that station before don't even acknowledge anyone who approaches you with an offer to help with tickets, bags or just helpful info, even if they appear to be train employees (blue smock). Regards, Walter
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira - I never intended to go to the museum the day we arrived - that's why I had "relax" on my itinerary for the day. My plan was to go to the museum on the day we take the train to Rome for that portion of our vacation.

Thursday before Pompei seems like a good plan if we can get there early enough - have a feeling we may be kind of pooped after seeing it to want to go to the museum. But it's good to know Sat is an option if that doesn't work.

Thanks
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:16 PM
ira

Sorry Joelle. My eyes went faster than my brain.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:19 PM
ira

Museum hours,

Phone number: 081.440.166

Hours Open: June to September 9:00/am to 7:00/pm daily.

October to May 9:00/am to 2:00/pm Monday thru Saturday and 9:00/am to 1:00/pm Sunday.