Search

luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2003, 10:58 AM
zil
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luggage

I'm going on Air France....they say 1 carry-on (width+height+depth not more than 45&quot and the other is a personal item. I have a backpack (my 45"itam ) and small duffel (18&quot(collapses) I probably want to fill and carry on the way back....they say as long as personal item fits under seat...ok...BUT, if airport determines its too big...then, no....You all have so much experience with all this....pls tell me, can I use my small duffel? thanks.
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:12 AM

Are you male or female-??

They allow women to carry a handbag ( of which your 18" carry on would be fine- ie. like a tote bag)

They also allow men a bag for a laptop computer-

I think you will be fine...

In any event, make sure you bring some plastic zip ties and are able to LOCK BOTH ITEMS in case you are made to check them.....
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:29 PM
sandi

Even though they allow for a 45" carryon, nowadays they are also weighing these, so if you're talking backpack and it's got "your life" inside, you might have a problem!

I use a 28" rolling duffle that goes as checked luggage - have a small handbag/backpack and a rolling (medium size) backpack (like the kids use for their books) both as my carryons.

Still pack a bag that collapses for purchases (I remind myself always to "buy flat, packs easy&quot and this gets checked on return flight.

So remember your weight as much as size for carryons. Forinstance, BA only allows 10-lbs. in overhead bins, so be prepared if some agent feels you're overweight.

Old May 31st, 2003, 12:40 PM

Hi Zil,

I flew Air France a few weeks ago and they were very strict about allowing only 2 carry on items (outbound from US). A fellow who checked in just after me had 3 small carry ons and they wouldn't allow him to take all 3 items, even though together they were smaller than the total size restriction. He was told he would have to check one of the items or repack. Since the plane wasn't full I'm not sure why they were so strict about this person's 3 small bags.

I'm sure you're fine with what you describe but be sure to only have 2 bags.

adrienne
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:01 PM

Please keep in mind that carry-on baggage on Air France cannot exceed 26 pounds. You may want to weigh your luggage prior to leaving home just to be on the safe side. Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:04 PM

It is about time that the airplanes restrict what a person can carry aboard..Many people during these years abused the system and carried aboard all their personal belongings, without having any considerations that others people had to have a place for their carry on also..
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:07 PM

I just flew on Swiss, on my outbound flight I had some bottles of water in my small carry on, when it was weighed at the checkin counter I was told it was too heavy. I showed them it was just bottled water that I would drink on the plane. No dice, I had to leave some of the water on the counter, this was strange in my opinion.