Search

Lugano Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Terra

Lugano Hotels

Hi there<BR><BR>I have to get from the Cinque Terre to Luzern, and find the quickest and cheapest way is by train (8.5 hrs). I think I am going to break the trip in half and spend one night in LUGANO. I have never been...<BR><BR>Anyone have opinions on hotels in Lugano (2 star superior- 4 star reasonable)? (I am travelling alone if that makes any difference)<BR><BR>Mille Grazie!!<BR>Terra<BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Ursula

Hi Terra!<BR>Good idea to break the long train trip. You will love Lugano.<BR>I like the "Dante"****, especially for its central location. Once arrived at the train station, hop onto the funicolare downtown and there it is. I hope the price is right for you.<BR>http://www.hotel-luganodante.com/<BR>Don't miss Via Nassa for shopping and a trip on the lake to Gandria or Morcote.<BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Terra

Sadly the Dante is fully booked (story of my life these days!!). Any other ideas??<BR><BR>Hotel International and Hotel Walter au Lac have availability. Anyone know these 2?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Terra

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Wayne

Don't know the two hotels you named. My two favorites are;<BR>-Romantik Hotel Ticino<BR>-Hotel Principe Leopoldo<BR><BR>Either of these will give you a charming place for a stay.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Ursula

Terra: The location of the Walter au Lac is fine too. Right facing the lake and in the middle of everything. Not sure, where exactly the International is.<BR>I've stayed at both, Principe Leopoldo and Ticino and do love both, but they might be too pricy for you. Besides, PL is out of the center and will not be that convenient for you.<BR>There is 3-star in the center as well, the Exelsior on the lake promenade.<BR>www.excelsior.ch<BR>Good luck, Terra.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Terra

Hi There<BR><BR>Yes, the Pricipe is def. too much for me (400 Euros a night). The Ticino seems more reasonable, but still a little more than I want to spend. <BR><BR>Thanks Ursula for the feedback! Anyone else? <BR><BR>Terra

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Tracy

Hey Terra -<BR><BR>This might be the place:<BR><BR>http://www.dulac.ch/E/Index.html<BR><BR>It's absolutely gorgeous, especially poolside - located in such a prime spot - just a little wander down from the center of town . . . their single room rates might be OK for you.<BR>HTH!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:54 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Terra, For a one niter it is hard to beat the Hotel Zurigo--just north of the main part of town. It is 3 star at about $100. Good idea--you will like Lugano. BTW, the Walter du Lac is very old and tattered, but has a great location. I have stayed at both.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:20 PM

[email protected]

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Tracy

I *would* recommend the Hotel du Lac (different from the 'Walter') - Paradiso is a lovely and quiet neighborhood, with the best views back onto the city, lake & mountains . . .

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Terra

Hi all,<BR><BR>Thanks everyone for the great advice! I decided to stay at a hotel/hostel called the Montarina-- it looks interesting and very close to the station. Since I only will be there a few hours really, I decided to go budget. Plus since I am travelling alone, I thought I might meet up with some interesting people there too. Who knows. Check it out at:<BR><BR>http://www.montarina.ch <BR><BR>It looks OK-- I hope!! <BR><BR>Thanks again everyone. This board is awesome!<BR><BR>Terra