Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa to Italy - how does it compare?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked my flight to Paris and then on to Italy with Air Canada. I got my (economy class) tickets today and found we are flying Lufthansa. I have never flown with them. How do they compare to Air Canada? Has anyone eaten their vegetarian meals? We fly to Frankfurt and then connect to Paris with one hour between flights. Will this cause problems? Thanks in advance to all helpful Fodorites.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 01:46 PM
ira

Hi tt,

A one-hour layover at CDG is cutting it close. Pack a change of clothing and toiletries in your carry-on, just in case.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 02:46 PM

I have only good things to say about Lufthansa, and not so good things about our "national" airline, AirCan (apologies to my friends who are employees). Can't speak to the vegetarian meal issue but I agree with Ira, 1 hour between flights is very tight. You may sit on the tarmac in Frankfurt for an hour before they find a loading spot to disembark. Best of luck.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Frankfurt Airport is a freaking zoo! Not well signed - I was in line for passport control when I didn't need too be - was just connecting to Prague! I barely made my flight. That airport is the WORST!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:25 PM

I liked Lufthansa. At least the aircrafts we had were new and clean and the flight attendants were thoughtful and kind. The legroom was not bad at all; it was alot more comfortable than British Airways and the seats were very comfortable. I think your connecting flight may be on an Airbus and if it is your seats will be leather. Food is as usual not very good but surpringly it was not as bad as other airlines. The anini sandwich served on the flight from Frankfurt to Paris was one of the best sandwiches I have eaten and I was not that so hungry that my opinion was altered. The bread was so fresh.

I did not like Frankfurt airport at all as it was so busy and unappealing. Where we waited for our connection there were no restaurants nearby nor anywhere to purchase bottled water or drinks for some reason. We disembarked on the tarmac and had to take a shuttle to the terminal. However, it was like that in Munich also. But I really liked Munich airport since it was modern, very clean, and it had restaurants and stores nearby.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Sorry for the typos: s/b "surprisingly" and "panini".
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:01 PM

I flew Lufthansa in Sept. and was impressed with them. On time, friendly attentive staff and i thought the leg room was on the generous side. Although i have not flown Air Canada and i cannot compare the two you should not be dissapointed with Lufthansa.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Have flown both. Have been to Europe on Air Canada twice in the past year-once in economy, once in business. Both trips were very good. Air Canada has greatly improved service (but there seems to be a marked difference beween domestic and int. service) and on time flights. Get exit row seats if you can. Was also on Lufhansa. They are comparable. I tend to select based on price. We had a LH stopover in Frankfurt on our way from Paris to Rome. Fortunately the arrival and departure gates were in the same area. There are MANY flights between Frankfurt and Paris so you have no need to worry. IF you miss a connection you will easily be accomodated on the next flight. Cannot comment on the meals-they all taste pretty much the same to me-Dull.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Teach- LH is rated 4* by "airlinequality.com" along with Air Canada. Any flight is a crap shoot - most pleasant and uneventful, a few nightmares. A lot of people complain about rudeness. On all my flights I have never experienced a truly rude attendant, but I have experienced rude, obnoxious, drunken and demanding passengers. In my opinion airline attendants are true saints compared to the traveling public!