changing planes at Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying from Munich to frankfurt to Charlotte. What do I do in Munich as far as customs, passport control etc. My layover is almost 2 hours in Frankfurt. What do I do there as in customs, security etc. I am flying Lufthansa to frankfurt then US Air. Should there be any problems with the connection? I am concerned aas I have heard many bad things about Frankfurt airport.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM

You through-check your luggage in Munich, then security. On arriving in Frankfurt, you go through passport control, then sometimes another security. There's secondary security at the gate for US-bound flights, with opening of carry-ons and pat-downs. As US Air and Lufthansa are in Star Alliance, you stay within Terminal 1. 2 hours is plenty to make a connection.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 01:02 AM

We go through Frankfurt airport several times a year, as it is the hub we use to get from France to Canada and South Africa (one for family visits, one for holidays)

We've never had any problems at the airport. It's reasonably efficient, works fine. Two hours should be fine.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 04:02 AM

What have you heard is bad about the Frankfurt airport? It always seems efficient to me, plenty of stores, very clean, especially the restrooms, food is not totally overpriced and best of all, flights from the US usually land early a good percent of the time.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 04:13 AM

No one can address your concerns about Frankfurt airport unless you say what these "bad things" are and who said them.

I don't understand why people feel they don't have to give any information about their concerns but expect considered responses.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 04:55 AM

"Frankfurt Airport was fine (we did have to use stairs and ride buses again, but the buses were already waiting and were loaded with German efficiency)."

Quoted from a recent trip report (http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...travelogue.cfm).

And you do not have to use stairs. There are always elevators (believe me, I had been connecting at Frankfurt with pushing strollers and wheelchairs).

There are a few reports of Americans complaining about Frankfurt Airport. This comes mostly from the fact that they had been arriving exhausted and jet-lagged after a transatlantic flight. In this condition, perception plays tricks on you. The longest possible distance inside the airport is 1/2 mile (and there are moving walkways).

Conclusion: nothing to worry. Two hours are plenty.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM
J62

It's not as bad as they say.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. The complaints I heard were about the confusion of changing gates, rudeness of staff etc. As one said, it was probably a tired traveler who was looking for something to complain about. I am used to large airports and know some can be hectic but overall they have been very good. Thanks again.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:39 AM

One time when I was transiting through Frankfurt there was a long security line. An airport official asked for anyone booked on the next few flights out to go with him to an alternate security checkpoint. That's what I call wonderful service - ensuring people get to the gate on time. I've never had that happen in another airport.