Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this enough time to make connections in Frankfurt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little nervous about the Frankfurt airport because it's so large. My plane from Seattle will land (theoretically) at 8:35 a.m. I'm flying Lufthansa. The Air Berlin flight I'd like to take to Berlin departs at 10:50 a.m. I am assuming this will give me plenty of time to make the connection.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM

That's plenty of time. More than enough time.

If your plane is late then go to a Lufthansa agent in the terminal and explain that you need to make your connection. They are so helpful and will direct you to the closest security location.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I figured it was plenty of time, but I do like to get started early on my worrying.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:43 PM

LOL!
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Good luck. I found the Frankfurt airport staff the least helpful...and my transit through that airport (twice) was the worst possible ever.
Never again, even if I have to pay more to fly a different route...
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Lufthansa has no business in getting you on an Air Berlin flight. These are two competing airlines, not partners in an airline alliance.
If you miss the AB connecting flight, your ticket needs to be changed / re-issued by Air Berlin, not LH.
I would not even know if they have an interline agreement re. checked luggage.
But even if not, the time you have (if your LH flight from Seattle lands on time) will be enough to claim luggage an re-check with Air Berlin landside. Which could be in a different Terminal, though.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM

I went through Frankfurt in October. Check to see where Air Berlin normally flies out of, and where Lufthansa flies in to.

We had a last minute change of airplanes and instead of flying out of Zurich, we flew out of Frankfurt.

Did not see any train signs. Took over an hour to get from the end of Concourse a to Concourse e. Up elevators, down elevators, etc...

Mind you, I'm traveling with my 86 year old mother, so it's not like we could move all that quickly.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:15 PM

I agree with cowboy the key issue is are these two different tickets? if so and there is no interlining agreement you will have to pick up your bags and then go back through security. Additionally if you first flight is delayed Lufthansa is not responsible for the connection because they are separate tickets.

Rastaguy having just traveled with my mother I understand just how slow you can go, now we book a wheelchair and speed right through everything!
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Oh, nuts! I can't blame Lufthansa for this. The Air Berlin flight was half the cost of a Lufthansa flight to Berlin, so I chose the Air Berlin flight. Obviously I did not think this through.

The Lufthansa flight will probably land in terminal 1 C. The Air Berlin flight will depart from terminal 2. I've been looking at terminal maps, but I can't say that they're much help.

I do have almost 2 1/2 hours to make the Air Berlin flight, so I should be okay.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 04:06 PM

Don't worry..
Just make sure you know how your checked baggage will be tagged in Seattle.

IF you can't get it checked through to Berlin, you have to pick it up at baggage claim in Frankfurt. No big deal, just don't follow signs for Transfer but for Baggage Claim/Exit.
You exit with your luggage (Customs is virtually non-existing, simply walk out the green exit, if you have nothing to declare).
Once you left baggage claim, follow signs for Terminal 2 (assuming that your flight does arrive at T1, which all LH flights should, and that your AB flight departs from T2).
Being landside, the signs will guide you to the intra-terminal people mover.

T2 is a fairly easy to navigate building.
Check your luggage, and tear off the old tags from your Seattle-Frankfurt flight to be on the safe side.
You can print your boarding passes for the AB flight 30hrs before departure, which should be possible even with your 9hr flight from Seattle. If you can't print them, don't worry. You don't have to print them in advance.

Don't fuss too much about getting to Air Berlin's check.in counters early. Hardly no one leaving Frankfurt for Berlin on your AB will appear at check-in (even with luggage) much earlier than 1 hr before departure.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance, Cowboy.