Lucerne to Jungfraujoch HELP!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read so many posts and I am more confused than ever. Can someone please advise best recommendation for a LONG day excursion via train from Lucerne to Interlaken....then onto experience the Jungfraujoch. Is this doable? I can't seem to locate a roundtrip price for the Jungfraujoch. Their website only indicates "full day"...so I just need to make sure I can return back to Lucerne at the end of the "full day". Any suggestions would truly be appreciated. Travel tentatively (weather permitting) Thursday, July 19. Fodorites to my rescue!!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:14 PM

"Their website"? Well, at any rate it was the wrong one. You can get full timetables and ticket costs at www.sbb.ch

This is the Swiss national rail site, and it reports on many private lines as well.

From Luzern, if you leave at 6:55 you will arrive at 11:07. The cost is 234.60 chf round trip.

You can plan on being on the trains for about 9 hours out of the day.

The trip is in multiple stages:
Luzern to Interlaken Ost
Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch.

No quicker or cheaper alternatives. You could return or go up via Grindelwald at a slightly greater cost and longer trip.

I am also curious at to which posts confused you.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM

If the weather does not switch from rain to some sunshine, I don't think the trip is worth it.

Perhaps in the coming month the weather patterns will change. Right now I think Grindelwald has rain clouds every day for about a month!!

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM

<The cost is 234.60 chf round trip>

the actual cost of the Wengen-Jungfrauijoch would be perhaps about half of this? meaning the rest would cost about 115 SF

thinking Swiss Pass - saver flexi 3 days/1 mo period would pay the 115 SF on trains it covers in full and would also give you 50% off the Jungfraujoch train - say 60SF

115 + 60 SF = 175 SF or about $100

3-day Swiss Flexi saverpass costs $165 p.p. for three days 100% travel on buses, lake boats, trains - and 50% off all gondolas, mountain top trains like Jungfraujoch one.

and between the 1st and 3rd day of use up to one month you also get 50% off everything that moves in Switzerland - lake boats on lake lucerne (or use a 100% travel day on these gorgeous 'must' iMO cruises, etc.

coming from Zurich to Lucerne cover in full on one day and 50% off on other.

Point is if doing the Jungfrau excursion you may find it pays for much of a pass then you can reap benefits from the pass to make it worthwhile.

For example also give you 50% off Mt Pilatus excursion in Lucerne and cover trains in full to Engelberg, etc.

You can buy them at Swiss train stations but they are about 15% higher there than prices i've given - for purchase in US thru RailEurope, part owned by Swiss Railways - why cheaper her i don't know but are last time i;ve checked sbb.ch and have been for a few years. I always recommend BETS www.budgeteuropetravel.com for any Swiss pass because of their expertise and lack of RE's $18 mailing fee for orders under $400 - as most Swiss passes are. But if don't know doing Jungfrau trip then wait until Switzerland and pay more because you may end up not doing the trip if foul weather sets in - unlikely for long periods however. Swiss passes can be used on any train any time - just hop aboard.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM

If you decide to do this be aware tha t you MUST contact the Interlaken Est RR station to find out the weather conditions at the top of the mountain. It can be beauticful in Lucerne - and even in Interlaken - but the mountaintop is completely socked in - ane then there is NO point in the trip up. (We were in Lucerne 4 days - and the top of the mountain was clear only 1 day - but it varies by time of year and weather patterns.)

And - we were doing by car - so if Jungrau was;t available we just did other things - Brienz, Thun, boat trips on Lake Lucerne, Mt Pilatus (which was grat on the way up - but clouds rolled into the outdoor cafe while we were having lunch).
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Passes can save, but it depends on where and how much you use them.

Using this particular example, the Swiss Half Fare card would save you money immediately. This Half Fare Card costs 99 chf and is available widely at train stations in Switzerland.

The full cost of the Jungfrau trip from Luzern is 236.60.

If you had the card, you would pay half of that which is 118.30 chf. You would have paid for your card with that one ticket.

If you get one of the other passes, such as the 4-day pass for 255 chf, your savings picture becomes a little more complicated.

You can ride to Wengen at no additional charge and then pay half of the remainder.

So figuring it that way, you would save
71.20 for the Luzern - Wengen round trip and 53.50 on your half of the remaining fare. That is a total savings of 124.70 on this particular trip. The conclusion then is that would need to use your ticket some more to amortize the cost.

It all depends on what you are going to do.

In the past with most of my riding being on mountain train and cable systems I have found amortizing the cost of any Swiss Pass to be very difficult to do.

On the other hand, if you travel between the major cities such as Basel, Zürich, and Geneva you probably can make the pass pay for itself.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

I have trusted my fodorites friends many times before, and once again...you did not disappoint me. I have printed this out, and I am sure it will help my family greatly. Thanks to all of you...for your help as well as your patience.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:55 AM

You can get BOB Jungfrau weather reports from Lucerne - Swiss meteo has cameras in places like Jungfraujoch constantly monitoring the weather so check before you set off