Swimming in Italy with kids

May 31st, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Swimming in Italy with kids

My 6 & 8 year old children are traveling with us to Italy for 3 weeks. I promised my husband that we would take a 4 day swimming/beach break with no sightseeing, possibly a resort? We don't want too touristy, but at the same time can't be too remote because we need the amenities usually offered in bigger places for our kids and close restaurants. When we're in the Amalfi area can we do this? We'd like to stay in a place that we can walk out onto the beach and that has a pool. I know we can do this in the USA anywhere, but that was the deal I made, and if the kids are happy, lets be honest, we're all happy. Any suggestions? or are their better places than Amalfi? We'll be along the western coast of Italy and don't plan on going to the Eastern side or Sicily because of the extra traveling and time constraints. Thank you!
(p.s.) thanks mdod
May 31st, 2007, 09:36 AM

The only resort hotel on the Amalfi Coast that I can think of that has its own beach that you can walk out onto and a pool is the San Pietro in Positano. The Santa Catarina in Amalfi has a beach, but I think it is harder to access and more of a rocky cove. Do a search of this board regarding the beaches on the Amalfi Coast and the pros and cons of bringing young children to the towns. Will you be in Tuscany/Liguria at all? You might want to try the beach towns like Lerici or Santa Margherita Ligure over the Amalfi Coast.
May 31st, 2007, 09:45 AM

While in Tuscany 2 summers ago we took our boys aged 9y, 6y at the time to 2 different public pools. They were very nice and the kids had a blast. It was only locals, not at all touristy. I don't recall the names, but I'm sure someone on the board can help. We were staying in Montpulciano and they were quite close.

Not sure this is what you have in mind, but it was fun.

Travelatte

May 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM

Covo dei Saraceni in Positano has a pool and is right on the beach. we stayed there last summer and my kids really enjoyed it.
Jun 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys for your help! This is my solution (I hope...)

We ended up reserving a place for 3 nights that is just moments outside of Sorrento. It's called Sorrento Villa Garden Hotel. This is the "In Italy" website and it looks wonderful.
http://www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/s...n/svgarden.htm

It has a pool for the kids & I figured we could take boat trips to Capri (maybe swim there) and Positano, and taxi to Amalfi or, if we're brave, visit Naples (I don't know if we want to spend any time there. It seems odd to miss Naples, but I'd rather spend more time visiting the other areas near Sorrento then rush around and get glimpses of everything.) This hotel is privately owned and they will set up all these trips for you which seems nice. It got good reviews on Trip Advisor. I ended up making our "beach trip" our trip to Cinque Terre and we're staying one town south called Lerici. Its a beachy town and apparently that's where the Italians go for a holiday. We're excited!