Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lucca or Montecatini as Home Base for day trips to Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre?

Search

Lucca or Montecatini as Home Base for day trips to Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling to Italy for 3 weeks in June/July this year with my husband and two girls 11,14. We will be staying in Tuscany for aproximately 5 days of our trip. I would like to stay in one place and take day trips to Pisa, Florence and possibly Cinque Terre. Does anyone have an opinion on which location would be better for a home base? Montecatini or Lucca. Any other suggestions?
I was hoping that whichever we choose that there would be things to see and do at the home base city as well.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Either would be OK for a home base. If you pick a place in the old town in Lucca, it might be a bit longer to get out by car. You didn't say whether you are traveling by car or train, and that might affect your decision. Lucca has more appeal to me overall and I would probably stay there regardless of my mode of transportation. Good luck.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM

bethyk,
I liked Lucca. See my trip report for things to do http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34494897
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Wayne, thank you, we will have a car. I think for Florence however it would be better to take the train? or maybe better to take the train to Pisa or Cinque Terre as well. Now that I think about it maybe we don't even need the car in Lucca. What do you think. Anyone?
Henry, I checked out your post. Thank you. I also have already inquired about La Scaletta for our stay. Have not yet heard if they are available.