4 days in lucca as a base

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Lucca for 4 nights in early November 2019. Using Lucca as a base. Planning to go to Pisa one day, and a day walking around Lucca. We have been to Florence 2x before so looking for something non city and a bit more relaxing. We were thinking maybe a day trip to 5 Terre on one day via train and train/hiking while in 5 Terre (Wife and I have been to Portofino and Camogli before which is west of 5 Terre). Any other places to visit in the area that are accessible by train? Will the weather be too cool/stormy in early Nov. for visiting 5 Terre? We are in our 50's with a 16yo daughter and 13yo son, both active and experienced hikers. We are renting a beautiful Apartment in Lucca so no need for a recommendation on lodging. Any restaurant recommendations are also most welcome. Thanks. Looking forward to any replies!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I spent a week in an apartment in Lucca and 1 day went to Barga, not far on the train. I found it quiet, friendly, quite beautiful with very few tourists and the terrain a nice contrast with the flatness of Lucca. I loved my week in Lucca & hope you do too. Do take time for a walk around Lucca's city wall, a very different view.

My day in Barga: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/gallery-barga-italy
Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't pick the Cinque Terre from Lucca and not in November. It's at least 2 hours each way with at least 2 connections, sunset will be around 5:00 p.m., and weather could be unreliable. Not all hiking trails are open, so if that activity would be the reason for going you should investigate exactly where you would be able to hike.

Do a little googling on Montecatini Terme. It's a two-fer. An attractive Belle Epoque spa town below (architecture, fountains, a small art museum, dining, shopping) and a medieval village (Montecatini Alto) on the hill above (views, clock tower, a couple of defensive towers, remnants of city walls), with a cute red funicular connecting the two. It's a 30-minute train ride from Lucca.
Old May 4th, 2019, 01:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pistoia and Prato would be a one or two day tour. Just up the line towards Florence.
Old May 4th, 2019, 05:52 AM

I'll second Pistoia. Good for a couple of hours. Don't miss the underground tour. They'll do it for even just 1 or 2 people.
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:10 AM

To Leaning Tower from Lucca by train - get off at Pisa San Rossore station that is literally a short stroll from the Leaning Tower - walk thru Pisa perhaps to return via Pisa Centrale. Montecatini Terme - a few minutes from Lucca - is a primo spa town with campus-like setting and simply awful water to drink but not which to bathe in for 'medicinal' reasons:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mont...ih=613&dpr=1.5

You will be using all regional trains and those are best bought there at station - dirt cheap flat fare. For lots on Italian trains - www.trenitalia.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old May 5th, 2019, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Will look into these and post back.
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:37 AM

High above Lucca is Collodi - Pinocchio's birthplace and the town treads on the link of Pinocchio's creator living here. also a rather nice but not spectacular hill town - only go for Pinocchio stuff:

https://www.google.com/search?q=coll...iw=645&bih=613
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:31 PM

During our 10 day stay in Lucca in 2016 we went to a marble quarry in Carrara and it was really a wonderful day. We used Tau Touring, in Lucca to hire a driver. You can read more details on my blog:
Carrara Tour ? Keep Your Feet in the Street
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:49 PM

We spent two nights in Lucca just last week! Loved it!
Pisa just a 27-minute train ride away. We stored our luggage at the station and spent a few hours there before continuing on to Lucca from Siena.
Rick Steves has a good overview walking tour of Lucca in his Tuscany book.
Bike ride on the city walls.
Our travel companions enjoyed a meal at Osteria Via San Giorgio.
Laundry was easy to do at Easy and Speedy Lavanderia at 45 Via San Giorgio (in case your apt. doesn't have facilities and you need them...4.50 euros to wash; 2.50 euros for 25 minutes to dry...includes detergent. About a 2-minute walk from our hotel, La Boheme.
Gelato: De'Coltelli just off Piazza San Michele...#10 on Via San Paolino. I had the orange chocolate with chocolate bits
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:50 PM

4 days in Lucca are not that much, its a lovely city with much to see. Frankly, I would go to Pisa one day and spend the rest of the time in Lucca. I wouldnt advice to go to Cinque Terre in November, weather is usually rainy at that time. But obviously, if you get good weather that would be a good option. The first time I went to CT I did it while staying in Lucca. If you want to do another day trip and CT is not feasibel, Montecatini Terme might be a good option. Regarding restaurants, I like Trattoria Gigi and Canuleia
Old May 24th, 2019, 03:11 AM

Cinque Terre would be a huge NO-NO for me in November. Stay in Lucca and make a trip to Montecatini Terme instead.
Old May 24th, 2019, 10:05 AM

I day tripped from Florence once in January to CTerre and it was great. I could actually see the 4 seaside towns - went by train - without mobs of tourists clogging the streets. The weather was in 50s - not sure I'd stay for many days but as a day trip from Lucca sure.