Allessandro Cammilli/Florence driver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried this post with diffent titles and gotten NO responses. We have hired Mr. Cammilli for two days on our honeymoon next month. I need tips on where to go. The first day I am thinking Siena, San G, Chianti area. Is that too much for one day????

Second day is undecided. We have him 9 hours...we discussed Pisa, Lucca, Cinque Terre. What suggestions do you all have????

I found lots of recommendations for him as a driver/tour guide...now I need recommendations on what to do. We don't really want to hike...just want to sight see. Can you do the Cinque Terre on a tour or do you need to do a hike?

Thanks in advance for any tips. Oh yeah...we are based in Florence...that CAN'T change!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:19 PM

I have read a lot of good comments about Allessandro also. I'm wondering if you have him for 9 hours on the first day too? There is so much to see heading south of Florence. You could drive through Chianti and see San Gimignano and Siena in one day but you would miss the smaller towns and only get a brief visit. Try to have a meal in Montegiggioni, which is just so quaint and has gorgeous panoramic views.

If you go to the Cinque Terre, PLEASE walk some of the trail...the first section is very easy. Unless the boats are running, you won't get to see the views any other way. There is really no need to have a guide in the Cinque Terre but it is in the vicinity of Lucca and Pisa. I didn't go to Pisa since most Fodorites give it poor reviews, so you may think about spending both days in southern Tuscany (maybe visiting some wineries in Montalcino or Montepulciano) instead of heading west to Lucca and the CT...especially if you don't want to hike at all.

So much to see, so little time. Whatever you do, you will enjoy! Lina
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we have him nine hours both days.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:09 AM

Can you post his e-mail???
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:25 AM

The Cinque Terre are only minutes apart by train but longer by car, - I don't think you could get to see all 5 + Lucca + Pisa. You'd have to be selective - perhaps Vernazza plus one other.

Another possible trip might be Assisi + Cortona.

Steve
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Alessondro's email is [email protected]
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:51 AM

jal, we have him booked for our trip in October too. I suggest you tell him the kind of things you are interested in and ask him to give you ideas and suggestions. That is what we did, and he came up with some great recommendations. He seems like a great and interesting person.
Have a wonderful honeymoon!
Brahmama
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Is it rude to ask how much he's charging for 9 hours? Maybe just a price range so I could figure out if its a possibility to bring up to my two friends that I'm travelling with in mid-October. Thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

I am not sure of the exact price, but it is around 300 a day when you add tip.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

ttt...leaving Sat. just wanted to see if I can get any more ideas.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:16 PM

Siena and San G. are easily "do-able" in one day! See them both!
Seeing The Tower of Pisa was something I wanted to see - and am glad I did but I dont know that I'd make a special trip if all I had was one additional day in the Tuscany area. Spend it in the country .... it is beautiful!
Have a great trip!
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 11:29 AM
reh

May I ask how your tour of Tuscany worked out with a driver? My fiance and I are considering using a driver for a day or two when we go to Italy in May. Also, may I ask which towns you ended up visiting? I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I am so late writing back. My computer has been rejecting the Fodor's site for some reason. I finally figured a way around it. We visited Pisa, Lucca, Cinque Terre on one day and Siena, San G and several other Chianti area towns the second day. Alessandro will go anywhere within driving distance of Florence that you want to go. He is a great driver and knows is way around...we were able to see so much...more than we ever could have seen on our own. Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions. I STRONGLY recommend him.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

ttt