Search

Lucca, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucca, Italy

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to see in Lucca, Italy ? We have a limited amount of time and I really need some must see suggestions.
thanks alot !!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Hi,
I spent 2 weeks in Lucca last summer. I loved Lucca. The historic center is mostly pedestrian and compact. It's the kind of city that you sort of walk around and can get to see the main churches in a short time. The Cathedral, San Martino and the other 2 main churches are St. Michael and San Frediano.They are all very close to each other , within 20 mins by foot. Also walk on Via Filungo, the main commercial street ( pedestrian). Go up the Guinigi Tower for an overlook of the city roofs. Go to the Roman amphitheatre, now an oval shaped piazza with several cafes and gelaterias. I don't know what month you are going , but if it is warm, it's a good place for a break and a drink.

Walk or ride a bike ( you can rent by the hr.)on the town walls.

If you have time, for lunch I recommend Restaurante Giglio (Piazza del Giglio), Trattoria da Leo( near Piazza San Salvatore), Canuleia Via Canuleia, near Amphitheatre) or Osteria Baralla ( Via Anfiteatro).

When are you going?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
ira

Hi FT,

Lucca is a very small, very plrasant walled town easily seen in 1/2 day.

How long do you have?

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your input cruiseluv and ira..
I don't know how much time we will have, its a day trip from Florence that includes Pisa..I am sure it won't be enough time but what it will give me is a sense that I will want to go back.
thanks so much..
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM

to Ira,

I wonder if I could tap your knowledge... we are on a cruise docking in Livorno in Oct. Have booked a guide for the day. Have never been to Europe before.
Not too interested in art but I would like to see David, also would like to shop at the market in Florence for leather. Lucca sounds like a beautiful place to see too.
Question: would half day in Florence, and half day Lucca work? Do you think we could do David, market, Ponte Vecchio and go to the place with the terrific view(can't think of the name right now), and then head to Lucca?
Or do you think that having seen lots of other Italian towns(Amalfi, Sorrneto, Portofino, Olbia) I should just devote the day to Florence.
I value your input.
Thank you.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi trop,

A. I wouldn't combine Florence with another stop. It's about 1:20 hr by train from Livorno Centrale to Florence SMN, and you will have to be back at the ship fairly early.

B. >..the place with the terrific view..

Fiesole? Take the no 7 bus from SMN - 20 min, 1E each way. You will find it on the NE side of the station.

C. You can easily see the highlights without a guide.

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM

thanks so much for your reply Ira, I think I'll do Florence,and leave Lucca for another time...I hope!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:23 PM

Hi, Although I have been to Florence and Lucca, I am so excited to have 10 days with my sister in Italy! That is not much time, so I'm trying to plan an itinerary. I'd like to know if I fly into Pisa or Florence? I'd like to spend a couple of days in Florence, one day in Lucca and one day at Montecatini Terme (sp?). Does anyone have ideas? Also, I ate at a wonderful restaurant in Lucca with hanging copper pots all around, but have forgotten the name! Anyone know?
p.s. we're flying from London
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Was the restaurant Buca di Sant Antonio?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks ekscrunchy! It was Buca di Sant Antonio. We had a memorable meal there several years ago. Have you been there? Also, this is a medicinal "tip" I found before I went there. There is a pharmacy off the main square which sells a product made from China Tree Bark. It is for digestion and works like magic.I bought some when we were there. Anyone know about it?