Good Day trip from Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am arriving in Florence on Sunday May 16th to get married on May 20th and then meeting with a biking group on May 23rd so I have a week in Florence. Any ideas for a good day trip. I think Venice is an overnight trip and we have already booked all our hotels for Florence so if there is a spot worth taking a day trip to, would appreciate any recommendations! Thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Siena, rent a car for a day and drive through Chianti and visit some of its towns, Lucca is supposed to be nice but I can't speak to it, a half day to Pisa...
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:32 PM

You can easily visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa and Lucca in a full day. The drive from Florence is relatively short and Pisa and Lucca are about 30 minutes apart.

Lucca is relatively small and the old part of the city, can easily be navigated in a few hours. The reason to visit, is that is has one of the few remaining medieval-style city walls. You can walk around it.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:36 PM

There have been related threads on this topic. I would recommend going to Fiesole, just a short train ride outside of Florence. Fresh air, Roman antiquities, charming cafes and ambiance await you. Likewise, Lucca is another favorite and quite close to Florence by train. After seeing the city (Puccini was born there), do take a leisurely walk around the city walls! It is a very unique, beautiful citta!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM
MAP

We took a bus to Sienna for the day and it was wonderful. Ride was scenic and not too long. You will be amazed at Sienna and will love all the winding streets and charming shops. I treasure my two small pottery bowls from there.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 10:20 AM

In preparation for your wedding, you might consider going to Monticatini Terme for the day. A nice spa treatment and massge would be an excellent pre-wedding ritual.

Easy train trip from Florence, about 45 minutes, cost 5.5E roundtrip. Also take the funiclare to Monticatini Alto, a nice small town, for lunch and beautiful views.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM
ira

Hi norahe

I've trained to Lucca and bused to Siena and Fiesole, all worthwhile trips.

see www.trenitalia.com for schedules to Lucca and Pisa.

You can also take the Lazzi bus to Lucca. www.lazzibus.it.

To Siena, you take the SITA bus. http://www.sita-on-line.it/

To Fiesole, you take the no. 7 bus from the train station. Have a glass of wine at the Bar Blu and watch the sun go down over Firenze.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the recommendations. I think we will do either Pisa or Lucca since we are biking through Tuscany (south of Sienna) on our honeymoon. Thanks Ira for all the helpful websites!! Will post report upon return.