Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Luberon - does this look OK? Suggestions?

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, leaving for France April 30. Have most restaurants and all accommodations set. We like a balance of sightseeing and good reds and French food. Not too rushed! Have been to other parts of Provence before.

1. Arrive at Gordes AIRBNB day one. Walk around Gordes, relax and eat L'Outsider.

2. Day two -- Visit market in Gordes, visit Senanque Abbey, Village des Bories, Roussillon, Gargas and Apt. Seems way too busy - what do you think?. What is the do not miss here. Eat dinner La Trinquette in Gordes.

3. Day three -- Visit Goult, Memerbes and Bonnieux (Pont Julien). Eat L'Hevre Bleue in Bonnieux. Drop one location? What is your opinion.

4. Day four -- Driving to Saint-Tropez, stop in Lourmarin. Eat Café Gaby.Fi

What "do not miss" attractions -- currently left out? Do you know better restaurants?

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 07:11 AM

Day two is much too crowded. The drive to Senanque is slow both in and out. The same goes for the Village des Bories. Apt is only worthwhile on market day--Saturday as I recollect-- which then would take more time than just wandering through the streets. If you plan to eat lunch in a restaurant, that will eat up more time that you have not included in that day.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 08:02 AM

Try to visit Saignon on day 2 or 3.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 10:07 AM

Good advice above, but if in Saignon, bring jackets---it can get windy.
I am done. The end.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 10:44 AM

I'd also skip Apt if you aren't going for the market. Don't know what's in Gargas or why you are going there, I guess it is the mining history? fair enough, I just did the walk in Roussillon on the cliffs but not sure I even knew about that, depends on your interests.

Goult isn't exactly a hot spot of anything special to see. Although that day doesn't seem a problem to me in terms of too much.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 10:57 AM

We stay in Goult - and enjoy it quite a bit. Fewer tourist, but still quite interesting with all the houses built into the rock formations. Get a walking itinerary from the tourist office.

Stu Dudley