Lovers in Paris/France

Search

Lovers in Paris/France

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lovers in Paris/France

My husband and I are going to be in Paris in August. Unfortunately this is the only time we can go as he is finishing law school. Finally . It has been recommended that we stay on the Rue Clare by the market. Has anyone stayed in that area and would recommend it? Also, we are planning to visit Beaune, Antibes and Menton. We will have 13 days total. Too much/Too Little? Any suggestions on romantic things to do. We love to people watch, visit markets (eat a lot of great food/drink wine) and play on the beach. Sorry so lengthy, but any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:07 PM

You might be trying to do a bit much. Consider Paris and then choosing one other location. Also keep in mind that the Riviera, i.e. Antibes and Menton will be swarming with European tourists in August. That's their big vacation month and it is "the" place to go. Burgundy might be more pleasant and then you can return earlier or later in the year in the future to visit the Riviera.

Just a thought. BTW, it's rue Cler (spelling).
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:37 PM

I would tend to agree with SalB, unless you have been to Paris/France several times before, in which case you probably wouldn't be posting this would you?!

Paris and the region around Beaune would be lovely IMO, but you really need to research the various areas of France and decide which area interests you the most. If it is still the South of France, then go for it, but be prepared for life vacationing with the rest of France in the heat! Some people would like that.

Romance is spending time with each other and fawning over/pleasing each other; it is a state of mind more than money. Take walks holding hands...along the Seine...watching the sun rise, the sun set, in the rain, under a full moon. Be daring. Do something sexy. Try something he doesn't expect and wouldn't dream of suggesting. Most of all lisen to each other in the silence...sometimes it speaks loudest of all.
We spend hours over meals holding hands and being gushy. We take lots of naps, and even sometimes sleep. Life's too short to be in a hurry. Having just finished law schooI I'd give the poor guy a break of his choosing.

As for rue Cler...do a search in the little box at the top and you will see what everyone has said...it is reams and reams worth. Impression is much more positive than negative, but I'm a left bank person myself.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:43 AM
ira

Hi wm,

I also suggest Paris plus one other place. Beaune is a good idea.

The rue Cler area has been reviewed, usually favorably.

You might also want to consider the Marais, 4th; Latin Quarter, 5th; and St Germaine des Pres, 6th.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 03:51 AM

I agree with what others have said, but remember we're probably older than you & tend to really "do" an area fully. Only you can decide how many stops to make. Why not investigate how you would travel from place to place & then decide based on time it would take & price. If you're thinking of staying on the Riviera, maybe consider flying into Paris & out of Nice.

I'd suggest making sure you get a Paris hotel with GOOD air conditioning. Check tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews. Jack-travel.com is a website I found that has some good information on affordable hotels, restaurants & areas of Paris. I think he also has a list of all the various outdoor markets, their days & specialties. You might want to consider renting an apt. in Paris if you'll be there for 5-7 days. You'd get more space, probably for less money. There are lots of websites suggested here if you type Paris AND apartment in the text search box.

For the last few years, they've set up a beach in Paris (Paris plage) so you can perhaps have some beach time even in town. 8-)
http://www.paris.org/Kiosque/aug02/0802playa.html

A cruise along the Seine is almost "mandatory" for romance. Ditto for picnics in one of the parks.

Have fun planning.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Do a text search for: 100 Great things to do in paris. Lots of romantic ideas.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:22 AM

I agree with those who caution that the Riviera is a zoo in August. If you have 13 days and want to leave Paris for part of the time, you might consider a wonderful inn in Provence with a swimming pool.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice! We know that the Cote d'Azur is going to be crazy that time of year, but my husband is set on spending a bit of time sun tanning and sipping wine on the french riviera. That being said, any thoughts on Antibes or Menton? I thought that might be a good combination.

Also, what about Nice? I have heard good and bad things? Any thoughts?

Thank you all so much for your advice. It is really helpful.

Cheers
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice! We know that the Cote d'Azur is going to be crazy that time of year, but my husband is set on spending a bit of time sun tanning and sipping wine on the french riviera. That being said, any thoughts on Antibes or Menton? I thought that might be a good combination. We will have 6 nights to spend on the coast.

Also, what about Nice? I have heard good and bad things? Any thoughts?

Thank you all so much for your advice. It is really helpful.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Re the Riviera, if you're looking for nice sandy beaches, Antibes is good (check the Hotel Castel Garoupe). Try doing a text search on Menton. I've never been there but others have mentioned it. It sounds a bit quiet. Many people choose Nice as a base. There is great sightseeing, food & transportation but the beaches are rocky.

If I were going to stay in 2 different places in the south, I might pick 1 coast location (like Antibe) & 1 hill location (like Mougins, Valbonne, St Paul de Vence) for a different feel. Whether you plan on renting a car is a major factor though. Staying in a hill town is limiting w/o a car.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Of all the Riviera towns, I would think that Menton would be about the least appealing for young people. It?s very quiet, and its inhabitants seem to be mostly retirees. It reminds me very much of some Florida towns where everyone seems to be over 65.
We spent a few nights there a couple of years ago?..I can?t remember exactly why?
and it is one of the few towns along the Riviera that we would not consider returning to.
In my opinion, Cannes is a great town for young people. The beach is beautiful ( public as well as private) and there is always some kind of fete in progress. There are hotels and restaurants in all price ranges, and you can get anywhere from Monoco to St. Tropez fairly easily from Cannes, by bus, train or car. It has a certain amount of glamour even with the crowds, and it?s pretty.

IMHO, don?t even contemplate renting an apartment in August in Paris. The chances of finding an apartment in Paris with AC are negligible. The Parisians leave Paris in August for a reason! Unlike big cities here, there is little AC in public places in France ( and that includes many stores). Many of the restaurants will be closed. When its 95 degrees out, a museum with no AC is not fun. Stay in Paris a couple of days to get the feel of it and come back sometime in the Spring or Fall when you really will be able to enjoy it.
Get a car and drive to Normandy?.Honfleur, Deauville, Trouville where you can do some sightseeing and go to the beach?.and it?s gorgeous and romantic. How about horseback riding on the beach in Cabourg? These towns are only a 2-3 hour drive from Paris.
Then fly down to Nice or take the TGV down if you want to spend some time on the Riviera.
I would avoid Provence in August as it is rather like the desert then. The heat is oppressive.

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 12:31 AM

I like Frejus and Cassis for that neck of the woods with a side-trip st St. Paul de Vence, for what it is worth.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Probably too much.

Some Parisian restaurants etc close in August as many Parisiens head south for their own holiday at that time.

Menton is nice (warm & very Italianate)but a little staid - lots of older generation folk (is that PC now? can I say that?)

Antibes, well worth a visit of 4/5 days it won't take you too long to do it, but it's a good base for exploring the surrounding area - you can't stay there w/o experiencing Grasse for the perfume & Nice - especially if you love shoes as nuch as I do!!!
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:13 PM

PS - Remember that Antibes' beach is small and man-made although sandy.

Beach life is far better around Frejus, Le Lavandou (St Claire beach is nice & Ramatuelle - but avoid plage de Papelonne - try plage de l'Escalet - much nices & far fewer strings (on the men!!)