LoveItaly, can you help me organize

Aug 6th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, can you help me organize

my first few days in Italy?? I can spend 3 or 4 nights in Bassano del Grappa before heading to Venice.
With jet-lag in mind I want to visit:
Asolo and on to Villa Barbaro
Marostica and possibly Nove
Castelfranco
Padua - Chapel & Basilica
Vicenza - Villa Rotunda & Teatro Olimpico

I've read here not to visit Padua & Vicenza in the same day, although it seems doable since they're 20 miles apart, and I don't want to spend a full day in either.

What do you see as a good order to visit these towns in the timeframe.
Thank you.
Aug 6th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Plan to use bus and train.
Aug 6th, 2005, 10:02 PM

hello janemc, just saw your post. It is late here and I am going to go to bed but tomorrow I will respond to you. Veneto is beautiful, you will be in a wonderful region.
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:18 AM

keeping this for my records,loveitaly I will be taking your advise also,thanks
Aug 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM

I'm not LoveItaly, but I can recommend the following Web site about the Villa Barbaro:

http://www.cisapalladio.org/veneto/s...ura=7&lingua=e

And it is not easy to get from Bassano del Grappa to Maser. I went on a bus on Sunday, got there hours before the villa opened, and had to ask a tour group to take me back to Bassano because there was no bus to do so.

This is the page for the Villa Rotonda:

http://www.cisapalladio.org/veneto/s...ra=67&lingua=e

You can take a bus from in front of the station that drops you a short distance from the villa.

On another subject: Admission to the Cappella degli Scorvegni is very strictly regulated. There is a Web site, and you should probably reserve. Be aware that most visits are limited to 15 minutes; I believe there is a special promotion for visits of 30 minutes, but only in the evenings.
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Eloise, thanks for the websites, very useful. Now I will think out loud and welcome comments.

It appears that 4 nights is essential to see everything I've listed.

Day 1 - Arrive and tour Bassano del Grappa
Day 2 - Bus 7 Km to Marostica, taxi 3.8 Km to Nove, train from Bassano to Padua, catch late viewing at Scorvegni
Day 3 - Bike to Asolo and Maser, l9 Km one way, a walk in the park for me
Day 4 - Train to Vicenza, train to Castelfranco, train to Bassano
Aug 7th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Hello janemc, it looks like you have the information you need to enjoy beautiful Veneto.

janemc, I have not been to Bassano, I hope you will post your impressiom of this town. A friend from Veneto called me last night and I teased him that I had not been to Bassano, so next visit to Veneto I will.

Asolo, Castelfranceo, Padua are all so interesting and beautiful. I don't bike but it seems that you have the information that you need to enjoy the area of Veneto that you want to visit. Enjoy every moment, I am sure you will.
Aug 8th, 2005, 01:31 AM

Janemc - If I were you I might rearrange day 2 & 4 for ease of public transport.

Vicenza is quicker by bus than train from Bassano, I think. The bus goes via Marostica - so they would combine well. (You could detour to Nove en route either way ...)

And Padova and Castelfranco combine easily by train ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Janemc: It looks to me like you have it all figured out. The bicycle will be a terrific way to get you out of the transportation muddle that I got myself into for Villa Barbaro! Do try to go on a day when the interior with the Veronese frescoes can be viewed.

Aug 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve. Your right. I rearranged day two to be Castelfranco & Padua.
I did not know about the bus to Marostica and Vicenza, I had only noticed that it is one long train ride to Vicenza. These little things mean a lot.

Eloise - The site you gave me for Villa Barbaro only says they are open on Tues. Sat. & Sun., no mention of specific days for viewing the interior that I can find. Can you shed some light on this? Hmmm, I guess I can look for an e-mail address. Thanks.
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Janemc: As I understand it, the days and times given are when the interior is open to the public. I know I was admitted to the interior on a Sunday at 3:00 p.m.

If I recall correctly, the Villa Barbaro is being lived in, at least for part of the year; I do not think that the people living there would want to add an e-mail address to what is probably already a fair intrusion on their privacy.
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Gee Eloise, I had no idea it is privately owned. Guess I won't invite myself in for coffee!!