Looking up at the Marienberg Fortress

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my travel planning dreams we are at the Alte Mainbrucke in Wurzburg looking up at the fantastic Marienberg Fortress. We are a bit tired from visiting the Residenz and our city walk so how do we get to the Fortress? Do we walk through the vineyards, take a taxi, or catch a bus? How would you all of you travel weary, but still eager travelers handle this? Cost is not an issue, ease and simplicity are key. Thanks Barb
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:51 PM

From the Web:

Busverbindungen: April bis November Linie 9 ab Residenz, Mainfrankentheater, Juliuspromenade, Ulmer Hof, Kulturspeicher, Wörthstr., Oberer Burgweg, Höchberger Tor.

The bus-stop directly outside the Residenz should suit you.

Harzer

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM

Hi Barb,

We faced the same situation last year, so we opted to hang out on the bridge and soak in the ambiance, and later strolled back through town eating some fine gellato. We visited the Fortress on the way out of town the next day. This worked out well, because there is some walking involved, and the views are best appreciated on fresh legs.

We made the mistake of parking in the first lot we came to, instead of driving up in the car to the upper lot, so keep that in mind if you're driving.

Whitey
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Harzer and whitey. Still not quite sure how to handle it, we won't have a car so driving to it is not an option. We will be walking from the Residenz through town to the Old Bridge so wonder if we can catch the #9 bus there? Barb
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM

Good question. I could never figure out how to get up there. I had a car and drove around just below the Marienberg, but never managed to find a way to get up there. Maybe I didn't try long enough.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM

Hi Barb,
You might be able to catch the bus on the far side of the bridge, although I'm not certain. Many parts of the old town are traffic free, but I'm sure there are regular buses and tours to the fortress. Hiking up to the fortress is probably not an option, it's further away than it seems. Although we enjoyed touring the grounds and the views from the fortress, I wouldn't rush through the town's other sights to get there.

Whitey
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM

Take a cab up and walk back...exploring on the way down.