Looking For Slower Pace

Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Looking For Slower Pace

The itineraries that people are posting wear me out. We will be in the UK for the first time in the fall. We are looking for one or two countryside areas to tour from and get the feel of the area while not packing and moving every nite. Not into museums, palaces and castles. Looking for a quiet village. Suggestions?
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:30 PM

A quiet village in the Cotswolds- either Great Tew (the only thing there besides the idyllic town is the pub which has rooms to stay. It's called the Falkland Arms.) or Bibury where there are a few hotels. The one I know is the Swan Hotel which has a website. Rest & enjoy.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:23 PM

good advice!
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Pammyjo,

I've been thinking about the advice I gave you. While it's exactly what you asked for, I think if you're planning on staying somewhere for a week at a time, you would be better either staying in a self catering cottage (for which I have no personal experience) or in a town with some restaurant/pub choices. Otherwise you will wind up eating at your hotel every night which I think would be boring.

While you could drive to nearby towns for dinner from Great Tew(like Burford, Woodstock, Stow on Wold), driving at night on dark country roads may not be terribly relaxing. So....here are a few more suggestions. Bradford on Avon is outside Bath, has some hotels, b & bs & tea rooms/restaurants yet is quiet.
Marlborough is another good choice. I also like Burford and know there are some self catering cottages just outside town.

As you can see, I'm mostly familiar with the south. Hopefully this will bring your post to the top where someone else will make some suggestions for a second location.
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:24 AM
ron

I could think of dozens of places in the UK where you could base yourselves for a week?s relaxing holiday. If you really want specific help, you might be advised to do a bit more research and select some areas that interest you most.

One place where we have actually done it was a farm B&B near Hereford. Lots of places within easy driving distances to see (black & white villages, the 3 cathedrals, forest of Dean, Wye valley, Welsh borders, western Cotswolds) and numerous nearby rural pubs with good food.
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:32 AM

A lot depends on how much time you have and what your preferences are, but I'd suggest you think about one period of time in the south and another in the north. In the autumn the Cotswolds are fine; also you might think about East Anglia or Devon. Each area is full of fine villages with excellent accommodations and touring opportunities, depending on if you want coast, farming country, access to places like Bath or Cambridge, things like that.

Then you might think about Yorkshire or even Scotland, to get a sense of the strong differences to be found on the island. A village in the Yorkshire Dales, for instance, would give you access to numerous moorland or other rural areas, plus highly civilized places like York or Harrogate. Or you could look at somewhere in the western Highlands as a base for touring that part of Scotland, glorious in the autumn.

If you give us a little more information on your preferences, specific village suggestions will be easier.
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:57 AM
LJ

We stayed at a B&B just outside Thirsk in Yorkshire some years ago and found it a good spot for town and country walks, good pub food, afternoon teas, fish and chips in newpspaper consumed out of doors and some more uspscale eateries nearby. This is the adapted setting for Larraby of "All Creatures Great and Small" fame.
Apr 24th, 2003, 12:05 PM
ira

Hi
You might find www.slowtrav.com useful.

Go to the bottom of the page for the England link.
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Well, we just got back on Monday from our first UK trip and while we were very busy in terms of trying to see a lot - we stayed in the countryside and had a wonderful time. What we did: We rented a wonderful self-catering cottage in CanonBridge, Hereford. Great spot - tucked away in the country, but a good touring base to just about anywhere in the southern area. We spent 3 nights - but you could easily spend the week. Then we went to the Yorkshire Dales and rented another great little cottage for 5 nights. We toured the villages, moors, lots of markets and walks, a train trip for the day to Edinburgh, local gardens, etc. It's a sin, I know, but we were having such a good time enjoying the beautiful countryside, and the weather so fine, we didn't go into York on our last day there - we just couldn't leave the Dales. So, there you are. Now, I must go back and see York..and more of the Cotswolds...and Cornwall....
My thanks to everyone for all the invaluable information I got from the forum. This is such a great resource, and I'm glad to give back a bit.
deb