Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bases from The Cotswolds and Lake District

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I and our children are going to England in June 2003 and will spend several days in The Cotswolds and Lake District. We are looking for suggestions for towns to base out of in each region. We also would live any suggestions for places to stay, preferably in the $150 - 175 range. Thank you.

Steve
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:47 PM

I can only speak for the Cotswolds, and my vote would be for Chipping Campden. It is a gorgeous 15th century village. As far as your price range try some B & B's. The Kings Arms hotel on High street may be close to your price. Great town, amazing history and sights, and great location to see all the other Cotswold villages.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Hi ....

In terms of the Lake District, stay some where Winderemere or Ambleside ... if planning on staying for more than 5 days, looking at renting an apartment ...

Mark
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Steve, a couple of issues to consider. First, how many children & do you want a family room or 2 rooms. A lot of the country properties have small rooms thta only accomodate 2 or possibly 3. Second, do you want to stay in a town with restaurants & pubs etc. or are you willing to be a bit out of town in a country setting. Places in a town are sometimes more expensive. I agree with isplumm that for price & space you may wnat to consider renting a self-catering cottage. Some will rent for 2-3 days.

Burford is another popular place to base for the Cotswolds (charming town with rests., shops etc.) Stow-on-Wold is a bit bigger/busier town also popular.

You can do a text search here for info. (cotswolds hotels or cotswolds cottages etc.)
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We have 2 children, ages 7 and 9, and would be willing to stay in 1 or 2 rooms. We prefer to be in small towns within walking distance of pubs and restaurants (although we will have a car). We like to take long walks and would love any suggestions if you are aware of beautiful, only moderately challenging walks. We will probably only stay 2 -3 nights in each area.

Steve