Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for romantic hotel on the left bank

Apr 20th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be celebrating our 1 year anniversary in Paris this coming September. I have been to Paris before but stayed in a hostel. This time around I have more money to enjoy my visit. As it's a special occassion, I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for a hotel on the left bank. Minimum 3 stars.
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:23 AM

Take a look at www.paristays.com, which has a variety of charming hotels on Left Bank, will respond to your questions in English, and can also arrange for airport transfers, restaurant reservations, etc. which makes things pretty easy.
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM

I have an interesting spin on "romantic" for you. Do you want "romantic" as in a charming, cozy hotel with lots of flowers and warm colors and American amenities, or do you want "romantic" as in a little less overt charm and tiny room but an exquisite location with double french windows overlooking the Seine. If the latter sounds more appealing, check outhe the Hotel du Quai Voltaire. I think it's only a two star, though. It's on the Seine, not far from the D'Orsay, across the river from the Louvre. My husband and I have stayed there in all 4 of our previous visits to Paris, each time staying higher up in the hotel. The higher rooms, I think, may be a bit bigger and afford a better view and are farther from the street. Beware, it's noisy because the Quais have a lot of traffic and the rooms are about as wide as a double bed, but the view is amazing and quintessentially Paris. And you can step out of your room and walk along the seine. Just my two cents. It's one of the many reasons I fell in love with Paris. But sadly with the baby we won't be going there this time.

Good luck,
Kat
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM

Kat asks a good question. What constitutes "romantic" for you? I always recommend the Hotel de l'Abbaye on rue Cassette near St-Sulpice for its charm, decor, courtyard where you are served breakfast in good weather, quiet but convenient location. Others have other favorites. I suggest you look at the Fodor's Rivages book "Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris" and check websites of ones that look appealing. Good luck and happy anniversary.
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM

I think that book published by Rivages is a good idea, they have some nice places. I don't consider my favorite hotel particularly romantic, so can't recommend one from personal experience. I know I've heard of some, of course, such as the Relais St Germain.

I don't understand the post about "American amenities". What is that supposed to be? Decent plumbing and a minibar or something? Europe isn't some backward country that doesn't have decent hotels on their own.
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM

I think that book published by Rivages is a good idea, they have some nice places. I don't consider my favorite hotel particularly romantic, so can't recommend one from personal experience. I know I've heard of some, of course, such as the Relais St Germain.

I don't understand the post about "American amenities". What is that supposed to be? Decent plumbing and a minibar or something? France isn't some backward country that doesn't have decent hotels on their own. A basic, somewhat shabby 2* hotel is not the same thing as being European versus American if a hotel is nicer.
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:04 PM

Christina,
I think you may have misunderstood my "American amenities" comment. Please forgive my verbal skills these days... I am so sleep deprived lately with a teething baby and trying to do my research for my own trip (bordeline obsessed about it) that I made a comment that was vague in my effort to post quickly. I guess I meant, if they wanted a larger hotel (no matter what the stars) with a large English speaking staff, and ice machines and a safe in every room and the USA today on their doorstep, and breakfast in bed and to be pampered on their honeymoon (as some people might want), that kind of thing, then the Quai Voltaire wouldn't be it. It's a small understated hotel, as are many in Paris, that quietly let you come and go as you please without much fanfare and, for lack of a better word, without that whole "big hotel vibe." And I agree, a 2 star hotel anywhere in Europe is very often WAY nicer and more charming than fancy hotels and inns in America. In fact, isn't the star system based on whether or not the place has a lift, or TV in the room, etc and really is about what level of taxes they pay?

Anyway, thanks for making sure my comment didn't get taken out of context and turn it into one of the great fun Fodors frays.

~kat