Looking for restaurant and walking tour recs for Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be off to Barcelona in a couple of weeks. We'll be staying at the Hotel Inglaterra for a week. We need some restaurant recs, everything from quick lunches to nice dinners and in between. We prefer non-touristy places. They don't have to be near the hotel, we don't mind wandering around, exploring different neighborhoods and going off the beaten path.

Some recs I already have are: Four cats (noisy but otherwise a great place) and Avalon in the Gran Hotel Central. I also have Maribel's guide with her recs.

Also, any recs for a good walking tour focusimng on a particular area, would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:10 AM
yk

HI MFNYC,

Have you looked at Maribel's guide for her Barcelona restaurant recs? Her recs are usually spot-on.

As for tours, I came across this list organized by the Tourist office. We are leaving for Barcelona in a few weeks too, and I plan to take at least the Modernisme walking tour. (list of tours are on the L hand column)
http://bcnshop.barcelonaturisme.com/...8JyMv6kjl-6d3E
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Yup, I have Maribel's guide. That's partly the reason I picked the hotel.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM

The restaurant that I always head to in Barcelona is Asador de Aranda - it is not tapas - instead, the traditional roasted meats, suckling pig and lamb and they are delicious. I think there are two locations.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM

For a walking tour in Barcelona, I just came across www.hithisisbarcelona.com . It's run by Jordan Susselman, an American living in Barcelona. You can design your own tour with him.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I would go with anything Maribel's guides say, but since I followed them, I can tell you from experience that some of the best places to go are: Tapac 24 for tapas, Windsor for a lovely, elegant meal, L'Olive for a pleasant dinner, Provenca and anything else she says. I also love Vinya del Senyor, a wine bar across from the Santa Maria del Mar cathedral. And Don't forget Gresca for a nice dinner and, and, and--whatever Maribel says that's close to where you are. Enjoy. Barcelona is wonderful.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM

I would like to mention the outstanding Cerveceria Catalana on Carrer de Mallorca and Costa Gallega-Passeig de Gracia-both right near Hotel Condes de Barcelona
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. This is our first major vacation without our kids (they are both in college). So we can splurge a bit on meals and eat what we want instead of worrying about pleasing them.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

We also plan on spending a day in Girona. We plan on renting a car, and will be travelling with some freinds (who live in Europe) meeting up with us in Barcelona for a couple of days.

Any Girona recs are also welcome.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 01:56 AM

Hi there,

if your looking for restaurants off the beaten path then I would definitely recommend La Champagneria. However, here you will not find a sit down restaurant with 5 star quality service. Actually quite the opposite, where if you go during peak times you have to fight just to put your order in. But this is why everybody loves it, for its unique and vibrant atmosphere.

They serve traditional cava and Spanish meats and cheeses. For this reason it is constantly filled with locals. You can have a look here to see where it is located:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...5&z=15&iwloc=E

Hope you enjoy your it.

OHcharlotte

(Oh-barcelona)
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

We aren't looking for 5 star in any case. An upscale meal or 2 is fine, but I prefer some low key local places as well. Kind of the equivalent of eating in the E. Village (in NYC).
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM

MFNYC,

We learned about Jordan Sussleman (see the post from Stricky) from an article in National Geo. Traveler. We booked a Tapas Tour and a Picasso Tour with him. We were a group of 4, but the cost would have been worth it for 2, IMHO.

He is knowledgeable, funny, pleasant to be with, and will take you to places you would be unlikely to find on your own or, in at least some places, enter without a guide. If you spend time with him early in your trip, it is likely you will get many restaurant and activity recommendations as well. By happy accident, we had a small notebook with us and were able to take notes on the places he suggested.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM

Our favorite find was this tiny, bustling tapas spot in Barceloneta on 56 Carrer del Baluard. So delicious, and definitely a local haunt.

Info and pics from our trip at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/