Search

Looking for Paris two bedroom apartment

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:28 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Paris two bedroom apartment

We cancelled our trip to Paris this year because of the high airfares and now are committed to next year, come hell or high water.
I've collected a few options off Fodor's forum but there aren't very many and I'm hoping for a few more.
We're going during summer and high season due to goddaughters school breaks.
We're both house-poor and cheap so looking to keep the cost down though we will be paying high season prices. Also, both of these girls are over 6 ft tall and I think I'm not going to want something too cramped and tiny. Four adults.
Probably a week's rental; that isn't carved in stone yet.
Location is secondary to easy metro access, though it would be fun for the girls to be closer in.
Did I cover the basic info?
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:38 AM

I have never rented a 2 BR so am not a good source of personal info on that, although I do remember reading a few posts on Fodors.

But the one thing missing I can think of is your budget. The reason I mention that is some Fodors folks stay in very expensive apartments (eg, Parisperfect) so since you said you wanted cheap, I assume you have some upper limit. I know Parisperfect has some 2 BRs, for example, but would guess you aren't willing to pay that much. I think their cheapest 2 BR is around 350 euro a day in the summer. If that is find for you, check out their website, they have a couple in that bracker (most are higher).

Do you insist on AC? There are not going to be as many available with AC, of course, so you have alot more options if you don't insist on it. I would myself, but some people may not to save money.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM

Here is a large 2br apt.w/ one double bed and two twin beds (and a sleeper sofa in LR). It is walkable to many tourists sights, 3 blocks from Metro Saint-Paul and a few blocks to the river. Seems to meet all your needs and wants.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_18.htm
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Hmmm. Good point, haven't had to consider AC before. I would live without it but my husband would be pissed, so go ahead and throw that into the mix.
Don't shoot me but I am trying to keep it around $250 US/night.

While I have you here, Christina, what do you think of the 18th arrondissement, specifically Pigalle Metro area? I read that it's a red light district but I don't know if that means it's awful or just be aware.
Here's a link to the one I found.
http://www.vrbo.com/273036
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM

That area is fine for a 4th or 5th visit. However, if this is your first time to Paris, I would look (much) closer to the river and islands.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM

PDX - we are traveling to Paris and using Airbnb.com to book our apt. They are quite helpful and the range is within your budget. Let me know if you find something... The contacts listed on their site are good at responding promptly.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Thanks, bardo. I was kind of wondering if that was the case. Darn. Back to the drawing boards.

sils, I will look at airbnb, I forgot about them. Though, I worry about the apartments not being legal.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
cw

pdx, I agree that it's probably not ideal for a first visit but read this recent thread about staying in the 18th: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-the-18th.cfm
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM
cw

And here's a Paris Vacation Apartment within in your budget in the 18th: http://www.parisvacationapartments.c...h-balcony.html

It also has a/c. I don't know the apartment but we did book through PVA and they are great to deal with and their apartments are terrific.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 12:56 PM
pdx
Original Poster

This just makes it more difficult, doesn't it?
It's the first time for the girls, husband and I have been a couple of times.
I really don't know what to do. I suppose I'll keep looking for an apartment closer in but I doubt we'll get the space of these 18e apartments.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM

If you've been there, you know how inconvenient that location might be for you. It will just take a lot more commuting time getting places. I was interested in that apt because it says it has a piano and I play the piano and keep a short list of places in Paris for rent that have pianos. It isn't that easy to find them.

I have stayed in the 9th a couple times and like it fairly well just a bit south of that location, but right around metro Pigalle is not to my taste. It's just a busy area and kind of busy in a way that isn't very scenic, if you will. I also don't know of any major grocery store in that area, but I might be wrong on that as I haven't looked much. There are parts of the 18th I find nice and neighborhoody but right near Pigalle metro sure isn't one of them. That's a major street, you know, and the area in general has sex shops and what have you. I'm not scared of being around there (I have only been around there in the day time) but I wouldn't hang around there at night. It just isn't the general kind of ambience in several ways that I would like for staying in a place.

But it's kind of hard to tell for sure without knowing where it is. I couldn't find an actual address or location on the website, they just show a map of the entire area and a couple landmarks but I see no mark for the apartment, unless I'm missing it.

If you really like it, it would probably be fine as long as you don't care about the distance of the location. The apt itself doesn't look furnished very well to me, looks kind of stark.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM

Try VRBO 15502 ~ we stayed there last fall, it's about a block from Place des Voges in the Marais, so great location. 1 Queen size bed and 2 singles, very spacious for a Paris apartment, the kitchen is really well equipped and there was free wifi and calling back to North America. I don't know if there's air conditioning, but there's lots of windows for cross breezes.

Good luck!

Jo
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM

I stayed in www.vrbo.com/90955 in April and can highly recommend it; great location in the 6th, clean, secure, spacious.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:20 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Thank you, ParisJo and grandmere, I will check them out.

I just found and sent emails to two apartments on that are much cheaper (yay!) but neither has any reviews and I'm hoping they are legal. They look legal, but what do I know?

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p357866 $201/night

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p768009 $215/night, $1300/wk
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
cw

I can't tell if the second bedroom of the first one is a fold-out couch with no room once it's open. It's pretty tiny for 4 people.

I'd ask to see more photos of the second apartment--no bathroom photos and I couldn't figure out where the extra bed would be. It says 3-bedroom but it doesn't show the 3d and I can't tell if they show two views of the 1st bedroom or if it's a photo of the second.

Neither seems to have a/c if that is a concern.