Looking for logistic info re: GLANUM

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all. Beginning to flesh out a trip for 2014 and have an interest in seeing Glanum, outside of St Remy, actually our primary reason to go to St Remy...

1. We will not be using a car and plan to bus it over from Avignon to St Remy. I have found some posts here and there about Glanum, and that it should be walkable from St Remy. Of course, one then wanders around the site, and then needs to walk back to St Remy to bus 'home'. So, wondering just how 'walkable' that is for two 60-somethings, reasonably fit...?

2. What is the road like that we would be walking along? Is there room along the roadside to do this safely? (not really interested in the 'paintings walk' route, so I'm asking about the regular road avenue Vincent van Gogh)...

3. Are these sites obviously signposted so we can't miss them, lol?

4. Very important ;-) is there a working WC around there? I think they have a visitor center.

5. It appears the St Paul de Mausole is also 'just there' and would like to see that.

6. Has anyone had lunch at Taverna Romana which overlooks Glanum?

7. Our trip is in mid/late September, is this still tourist season? (so Visitor Center and sites would be open)

8. Regarding closures of St Remy shops, cafes etc - - would that more likely be a Sunday or Monday, so I can avoid those days?

Excited to receive any and all of your tips, thank you!
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:51 AM

Just back from a week in St. Remy which included a morning at Glanum. You're correct, Glanum is on the Avenue Vincent Van Gogh which is also one of the major roads into St. Remy from Les Baux, but it is not a major highway. We drove but saw several people walking from St. Remy. It's not a terribly wide road, but not unsafe if you are careful. I pulled up Google Map, and it appears to be about 1+ km from the town center or TI. Do not try the hiking path or the so-called Van Gogh promenade because it takes you through the woods on a rough path. Glanum is a great site, one of the best signed (in English too) with great graphics.
There is a very nice visitor center with bathrooms. I don't think the Tavernna Roman "overlooks" Glanum. You could inquire at the TI about the availability and cost of a taxi to and/or from Glanum.
I can't guarantee what's what in September, but it's very likely shops will be closed on Sunday -- but not on Monday. Cafes and some restaurants will be open, but since many close on Sun and/or Monday, check their websites.
I'm looking at a nice map from the TI. www.saintremy-de-provence.com and email at [email protected] Nice folks who spoke English, so I'd contact them.
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Travel Nut (aren't we all!)
we once stayed in a decent little hotel (Villa Glanum)across the road from Glanum (and the asylum where Van Gogh spent a year..also worth seeing, his bedroom with a view of a lavender field). It is, as Paolo (above) describes...not dangerous to walk on narrow shoulders of the highway. If you need a restroom before getting into Glanum, the hotel is convenient. We had a car, but I did walk to town one time. Glanum ruins are on both sides of the highway. Enjoy St. Remy...stu
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
On the opposite roadside are the memorials known as Les Antiques, a triumphal arch from 10 BC celebrating Caesar's
conquest of the Greeks and Gaul and a mausoleum from about 30BC
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for these tips! I'm feeling more comfortable with the excursion... marching around my husband and a couple other family members who think I know what I'm doing, lol.
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM

You'll be fine if you can scramble round ruins for an hour or so and then walk an easy kilometer on a two-lane road. The visitor center has restrooms.
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Hi, we just got back from a Provence/Paris trip, two couples 50+ and 60, no problem at all. It's a main road but not at all a "highway" as we think of them in the U.S. And as someone else said, there's a visitor center with WC.

We did do the Van Gogh "promenade" and while not something I'd recommend for anyone with time limits, it did not go through woods on a rough path. It was just a bit more time consuming than it seemed worth, to us.

And yes, the St. Paul Mausole is right there, and worth seeing, imho.

Your other q's I don't know and will leave to others. Bon voyage! Just realized your trip is Sept. 2014, not 2013, wow, you sure start planning well ahead!
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:29 PM

Walking from the bus stop located right in town closeby to the church will take you about 20mn. Follow the main road showing the signe "Les Baux" and walk up all the way. The road is busy and not too many pedestrian walks for it is safe and ok. Glanum is clearly sign posted.
The tourist office is located on the car park you'll see on your left inside a car park. It should be opened on Sunday morning but closed in the afternoon. No toilet there and the nearby toilet are not the best for sure. You'll find nice toilet in Glanum.
Taberna Romana was rather good but no longer exists. A new retaurant opened this last April but I didnt get a chance to try it yet.
The St Paul hospital is indeed located closeby to Glanum (Glanum was not yet discovered when Van Gogh was around)

All shops and restaurants will be opened on Sundays and Monday with the exceptions of some boulangeries and grocery stores but the touristy season will not be finished then...

If you want more info, you can check the "romains" posts on this blog
http://saintremydeprovencetourism.blogspot.fr/
Hope this will help.
And enjoy Provence.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

It's getting clearer and clearer, thanks!
I am planning rather far ahead, I guess because we aren't going to Europe this year so I need to be doing something that makes me happy, lol! (decluttering 35 years of accumulated 'stuff' and minor home repairs is a good thing, but not as fun as trip-planning).
I do appreciate getting a more detailed idea of these little 'obscure' types of excursions - wouldn't worry about it as much if it were only myself and hubby, but I try to 'streamline' somewhat when showing other people around. Newbies, you know ;-)
Phillipe, thanks for letting me know about the restaurant changeover... I think I came across your website already...!
Thank you, everyone, for your contributions.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

We greatly enjoyed our visit to Glanum and St Paul - Mausole. The walk to/from St Remy was comfortable and there is apparently a new sidewalk installed so we never had to walk on the road's shoulder. Just as you begin to 'run out' of houses, you quickly will see les Antiques and everything is very close together at that point. The visitor center for Glanum was very very nice, good restrooms, and courteous staff. We didn't eat out in the area as we got there early enough to have lunch back in St Remy afterwards. (don't get excited, just baguette sandwiches and a pastry).
We used bus #57 from Avignon's bus station and to/from St Remy's 'Republique' bus stop.
St Remy was quiet that day (a Friday) and so wandering a bit was very enjoyable.
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 02:35 AM

Glad you enjoyed your time in St Remy.