Looking for hotels in Krakow, Poland near center of town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Six of us (4 adults and 2 children - 9 and 11) are planning to go to Krakow in the summer of 2013. We're looking for a quiet spot near the main square with breakfast. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 03:12 AM

I think quiet places near the square are gonna be tough. In nice weather there are people out quite late, walking the streets and they can be noisy.

I stayed at the Trecius and loved it but they are renovating (should be open again soon) to make it posher. It is one block from the square but it was noisy. I know that's noisy is not what you're looking for but in case you were considering this hotel from another source I wanted to let you know about the noise level from the street.

If you search on Krakow you'll find other recommendations.

It is helpful to state your budget and if you're looking for 3 doubles or a double and a quad or 2 triples.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 08:27 AM

I was in Krakow in July and stayed 5 days at the Hotel Wielopole, a 3-star hotel about 5-10 minutes by foot from the main square, 1/2 block from the tram, and perhaps 15 minutes by foot to Wawel castle or the old Jewish quarter.

I was very happy with the hotel; it was very clean, there was a nice breakfast (included in the price), the staff were friendly, helpful and spoke English very well, and the location was quiet (although my room faced an interior courtyard - not much of view, but noise was never a problem). The price was also very reasonable; in fact, after I had made reservations I kept checking their web site to see if the price had changed and it had gone down about $10 per night so I got a price reduction.

I was a solo travel in a single room; I don't know what type of accomodations they would have for larger groups.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:54 PM

We were just in Krakow in late June. We stayed at the Tango House B&B. It is small, intimate, rustic, quiet and only 2 minutes from the main square. If you want the feel of old Krakow this is the place. If you want something more contemporary, it is not.

Here is their website which has a good video that will give you a feel for the place.

www.tangohouse.pl
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:42 AM

jim - The tango hotel looks nice but was it quiet at night? That location looks like it will be busy at night. You can't beat the location. For the OP - the blocks in old Krakow are very short so it would indeed be a 2 minute walk. Plus you have the planty for green space and can walk to the train/bus depot and the Galleria shopping mall.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:43 AM

adrienne - Yes, it is quiet. The B&B is not adjacent to the street. It is set back about 30 meters. The windows upon onto a little courtyard. We experienced no street noise at all.

You are correct about the location. It is an easy 10 minutes walk to the train station and the Galleria. If I recall correctly, there is only one set of stairs along the way...near the Galleria...so if your luggage is on wheels it is no problem to walk to and from saving money on a taxi.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM

I've stayed in a couple 4* hotels that fit that description, but you might be wanting cheaper, I'm not clear on the budget request. These hotels were not expensive compared to some European capital cities, but you can get a lot cheaper, of course.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:08 AM

We stayed at Hotel Wawel Tourist. It was about 77 euros at the time, but that's been several years ago. It was down a side street and was quiet, except for church music, which we heard occasionally. It's very near the main square. Not a fancy place, but quite adequate for our needs. It seemed to be near everything we wanted to see, including to the castle.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

We are willing to spend $200-$300 per night.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

I should clarify - this is a special family trip for us. Since it is a once-in-a-lifetime, we are willing to spend $200-$300 per room per night (2 rooms: one for parents and 2 children, and one room for the grandparents - us) OR an apartment? Or a suite? So, we are willing to pay up about $400-$600 per night for that combination.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:23 AM

That's a lot of money for Krakow. IMHO it's better to have a great location. Please search here under Krakow. There were several mentions of apartments between Rynek Glowny and Wawal that looked very nice. I think there were about E80 or $80 per night for a 1 bedroom and I suspect there are 2 bedrooms apts. If I can find the thread I'll post it.

I loved having an evening drink or coffee at one of the cafes in the beautiful square, watching the fire dancers and fiacres and then a short walk back to the hotel.

I hope you love Krakow as much as I do!
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:29 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Pollera, which was central to everything, and just a block or two from the main square.

It's an older hotel, but nicely maintained and the service was very good. I arrived around 7 a.m., after an overnight train from Prague, and the room I had reserved was not yet ready. They gave me a larger room and let me check in immediately.

There's a restaurant but I can't recall if breakfast was included in the price.

Check out hotels on Booking.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:21 AM

oh, well with that budget I'll make my suggestions:

Hotel Pod Roza, just a couple blocks off the main square on busy pedestrian street. I loved this hotel, the rooms were humongous with old-world elegance (hardwood floors, etc.). Now it would seem it should be noisy being on that very main pedestrian street, and I suppose it would be if you had a room overlooking it, but they have an interior atrium area (which is big enough, not one of those air shafts), and I had a room overlooking it which was dead quiet but still let in light. I was mainly only there at night, of course, so it was perfect. They have a very good buffet breakfast, also.
http://www.hotel.com.pl/pl/Home

I've stayed in 2 of that company's hotels, and loved them both (also the one in Wroclaw). I would not stay in a hotel without AC in summer myself, the Pod Roza has it. Who knows about next summer's rates, but the website has them at around 700 zloty for next June for a double (which is around 170 euro, about your ballpark). Their jr. suites are about 208 euro. The Pod Roza has or had a disco in the basement, but it was unnoticeable in the hotel (I had a room on 2nd or 3rd floor).

The second place I stayed at I also loved, it's just a few blocks walk away from the main square on a quiet side street, the Hotel Grodek. This place was just lovely and they also had a superb buffet breakfast. It's much smaller than the Pod Roza. This place was a little more convenient to tram/bus lines for going places like the Jewish Qtr
http://www.donimirski.com/en/

They don't have rates for next summer, but the ones in the Fall look about double the Pod Roza. I sure didn't pay that much, believe me, so don't know (it was more expensive than Pod Roza). Anyway that company also has a couple nice boutique hotels.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:23 AM

Hotel Wentzl - overlooks Rynek Glowny and St. Mary's, right on the main square, noise wasn't even bad on New Year's Eve. Modern rooms, all face the square.

BUT it's a walkup. If that's an issue for the oldies, look elsewhere.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses - they are very helpful. Now I have choices!