looking for home base - north west provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We spent a month if France last year – mostly in the Luberon. We are returning this spring – End of May/Early June – and would like to base ourselves for two weeks in a small provence town.

We are looking for something north of the Luberon…we think. The idea is to have a town with a butcher, baker, restaurants, a weekly market, etc…

We’re thinking the west side of Ventoux. We didn’t get to Orange, Chateau-neuf-de-Pape, visit the Luberon again etc. We would also like to explore these areas and ride our bikes around the Ventoux area a lot. Our main focus however is to be based in a town and get to feel it’s vibe. We’re flying to Marseille.

Any comments on the following towns given our criteria?
- Crillon le Brave
- Vaison la Romaine
- Bedoin
- Fontaine de Vacluse
Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Crillon Le Brave( one of my favorite places) doesn't have butcher, baker or market but you could bike to the next village, Bedoin.
Vaison is wher Patricia Wells lives and has everything you'll need. I prefer it over the Fountaine de Vaucluse (xcept to fdine at Chez Philip overlooking the water)
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

What about Mollans? Has anyone ever visited there? What kind of town is it?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Hi

Uzes is convenient for Avignon, Orange, Pont du Gard, etc.

It is also a great place to stay.

Peter
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:57 AM

We stayed this past summer at a guesthouse/B&B/mas in Pernes les Fontaines (www.lalavandinprovence.com) and absolutely loved it -- gorgeous grounds and wonderful American hostess. Took daytrips easily. Went to Vaison la Romaine for the market there (Tuesday?) so drove north through wine country, drove to and stopped at Domaine le Crestet (one of our group had stayed there the year before - fabulous place in a working vineyard!), and then stopped on the way back in Seguret and Gigondas. Many precious cute perched villages along the way!

I know you will enjoy your time wherever you choose to stay.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Will you have a car as well as your bicycles?

It took me a few minutes to find Mollans-sur-Ouvèze. Nearest I've been is Vaison-la-Romaine, which I quite liked. We have twice stayed in or near Nyons, but I suspect that is too far north if you are planning only to bike around.

Anselm
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Bedoin would be perfect. Has a nice grocery, several bucherie/charcuteries, many bakeries, and a wonderful Monday morning market. Lots of cafes also.

As cigalechanta stated, Crillon does not have the amenities you are looking for. I think Fontain de Vaucluse is a little too touristy for my tastes, and it is so close to the Luberon that it really would not offer you anything new.

When we retired a few years back and had more time to vacation in Europe, we spent 2 weeks in the Luberon, 2 weeks near St Remy, 2 weeks near Vaison, 2 weeks just east of Aix, and 2 weeks near Uzes. In '03 we returned for 2 more weeks east of Aix, 2 more in the Luberon, & in '05 2 weeks in Bedoin (near Vaison). This year we're staying in Bedoin for 4 weeks - it might be our favorite location, along with the Luberon.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Vaison would be excellent.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car and our bicycles. The bicycles will just be used for riding around...not to go get groceries, etc...they're sport bikes and not too comfortable to carry groceries.

I think we are leaning towards Bedoin.

If you've been to Bedoin, would you stay in the town centre?
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There are a few hotels and nearby is
http://www.lesflorans.com/

You can hike Mount Ventoux and the plains. You might run into the few remaining shepards there. The tourist office has information on the different trails.
Bedoin has a lovely forest that is protected with its flora and fauna.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM

For 2 weeks, I wouldn't stay in a hotel. Stay in a house - like we do. The one we stay in is a leisurely 10 min walk to town - through vineyards & olive trees. Sorry - I won't reveal specifics - it's getting harder & harder to rent these places each year as more Americans find out about them. Besides - we have it rented for the entire month of June & I'm sure it's already rented for May.

Bedoin is kind of a bicyclists center because it's the start of the climb up Mt Ventoux. On weekends, the town is loaded with cyclists.

Bedoin is not that large, so staying in town or out are both fine. Like I stated earlier, there are many cafes, restaurants, etc. there.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the input.

We've decided to rent a house around Bedoin for a couple weeks. We've got a location booked.

It will be a great base for cycling Ventoux (we cycled it last year but had to drive from the Luberon to Sault in the morning first...)

Jen
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:55 AM

>>Ventoux (we cycled it last year but had to drive from the Luberon to Sault in the morning first...)<<

You rode from Sault and then you climed up Ventoux???? - WOW - what an animal. Did you take the route through the lovely lavender fields below Sault to Ventoux???

Hopefully you'll be there when the Dauphine Libere race climbs up Mt Ventoux (don't know exactly when that is - but it's in the first 2 weeks of June sometime).

If you see a guy with sandy red hair & a lovely lady with shoulder lenght brown hair - hanging around Bedoin - that's us.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stu,

Yes we rode from Sault to the summit of Ventoux through the lavender fields. What an experience! We left around 8 am and when we came down it was getting hot and they were starting to harvest some lavender - beautiful!

We fit a similar description...my husband has short red hair, me shoulder length blond. Maybe we'll run in to each other there!