Provence base village or town for a 1 week visit in late September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've previously posted our trip itinerary for France and Spain and gotten some very good advice from knowledgeable fodorites. Based on their advise, I've modified my itinerary. My previous post is here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35029040

This post is about the Provence leg of our trip. My husband and I have decided to stay for 7 nights in Provence (excluding Riviera) in late September this year. My questions are.
(1)We think we would like to base ourselves in one village or town and drive around. What is your opinion on this versus staying in various towns?
(2)If we were to choose a “base”, which town would you recommend?
(3)Do you have a recommendation for accommodation?
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 03:52 AM

We've just returned from a 16 night trip in Provence staying in three locations: 6 in Venasque, 5 near Buisson and 5 in Le Paradou.

From Venasque we were able to drive to most all of the Vaucluse and Luberon (the north side). From Buisson we were able to visit the Haut Vaucluse and the southern Drôme. From Le Paradou we reached the Pont du Gard area, the Camargue and Aix.

In your case, I'd suggest a split of 4 and 3.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Last summer my 6 girlfriends and I stayed in Pernes les Fontaines at a guesthouse/B&B (www.lelavandinprovence.com) which we found to be very central to all we wanted to visit. We went as far north on the "wine route" as Vaison la Romaine, Seguret, and Gigondas, west to Pont du Gard, east to Gordes/Roussillon/Menerbes/Bonnieux, southwest to St. Remy, and very south to Cassis for the day. We also did the Sunday market in L'Isle sur la Sorgue. We found Pernes to be a very centrally located area. Our hostess, Georgia Ball, is American so there was no language problem. The property is gorgeous as you can see if you check her website.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
effe, don'r delay in booking. It took me a month and a half trying to find a place for September that we could afford this year. The two places we sty usually in Eygalieres are closed, now private homes. Other places were booked or too expensive for us. We will stay this year in Maussane, but we have stayed other times in Fontveille, Crillon-La-Brave, St Remy, Saignon, La Paradou, Arles, Molleges, Avignon, Aix, St Paul-de-Vence, Uzés, Isle-sur-La-Sorge, Langes, Moustiers-St-Marie, Villaneuve Lez Avignon, and other and enjoyed each place.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

As a final follow up, thank you all for your advise. I found a small bed and breakfast in Bonnieux that looks lovely. I will report back in October what it was like.