Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for European Destination for Family Skiing in March 2010

Old Jul 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (40-ish parents & 5 year old daughter) is heading to Europe in March 2010 for my cousin's wedding in the UK on March 20. We plan to go skiing a week before the wedding.

We're looking for a family-friendly ski area with reliable snow (higher elevation), plenty of beginner to intermediate terrain and comfortable but not exorbitant places to stay that don't require a 7-night minimum (we're looking to stay 4-5 nights). We'd also like a destination that isn't too difficult and time-consuming to get to (not hours of trains, buses, cars, etc. from the airport).

Please suggest ski areas, towns, hotels, apartments, etc. Thank you!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 03:37 AM

La Clusaz sounds as if it might fit the bill.

About an hour and half drive from Geneva airport (I think there are direct trains and buses too) with lots of of beginner and intermediate slopes, it's a fairly unspoiled town with plenty of traditional buildings and a proper town centre.

I have no idea why it's not more popular than it is, but think it may have something to do with its complete unpretentiousness and possibly due to this seems to attract plenty of families.

I can't recommend any hotels or apartments I'm afraid, as it's been a few years since I've been but I did once rent a chalet that allowed you to put your skis on at the back door and ski down to the chair lift, which was quite joyous.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM

I'd agree that La Clusaz is a good choice but you might also want to look at nearby Les Gets - the base for family ski firm Ski Famille (www.skifamille.co.uk). They include childcare but do seem to be 7 night stays only.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM

The Serre Chevalier ski domaine in the Hautes Alpes is a beautiful, traditional ski area. Briancon is the main town but there are 12 additional villages that comprise this scenic area.

www.serrechevalier.com
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice, everyone! Can anyone comment on the Trois Vallees (Courchevel, Mirebel, Val Thorens)? I've done a bit of internet research and a couple of hotels I looked at had 7-night minimums (Sat-Sat). We really don't want to go for that long (prefer 4-5 nights) and Sat-Sat is really inconvenient because of this wedding in the UK. Any suggestions on places that might not have such a long minimum stay? Thanks again!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM

I'm not denying that its the case, but I find it very strange that hotels are insisting on seven night stays and personally would never stay in one that did.

Then again the Trois Vallees is very "m'a tu vu?" as the French would say, and probably as far away from family orientated as it's possible to get. All three resorts (less so Val Thorens) attract junior bankers and hedgies who are quite happy to be seen paying over the odds for everything as they believe it gives the impression that they've 'arrived'.

It's definitely worth experiencing, but it will be less fun for your little girl, as there will be many fewer similarly aged children on the pistes.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM

You might want to check out:

http://www.barcelonnette.com/fr/il4-...activites.aspx
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arosa
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Jay_G, thanks for your advice on Trois Vallees. Will look elsewhere. Anyone else have any further suggestions?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Hello Fodorites - Any further suggestions?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Try Livigno in Italy. In March of this year we have spent a week there and loved it. Great slopes, very well maintened, cheap drinks and food. City is tax free zone, cheap cosmetics, drinks, ...
Try to rent apartment ther, so 5 days is not a problem http://www.livigno.com/en/index.htm.
You can land in Milan, Italy, or Zurich Switzerland. Hire a taxi in advance, it cheaper and faster that way.
Take one day trip and go skiing in St. Moritz.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny you should say Livigno. My husband was there two weeks ago and found it much more to his liking than his last visit 20 years ago. Good prices, good slopes, good atmosphere.