Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for early morning boat from Positano to Capri. Is that possible?

Jan 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

DH & I will be in Positano this September and want to do a day trip to Capri. I know everyone says to at least stay the night, and maybe we will adjust our plans to do so, but right now Iím researching day trip info. Iíve been trying to find a boat (private or otherwise) that will pick us up from Positano before 9am to get an early start. The ferries donít pick up prior to 9, and every boat operator Iíve contacted starts their day around that time, even if I ask for earlier. My hotel tells me the same thing. Is there a reason why no one wants to pick up earlier than 9am?

I know my options for a day trip can range from inexpensive (take the ferry, do everything on our own) to moderate (book a day tour that will pick up in Positano, tour the island by boat, give us free time on the island, then return us to Positano in the early evening) to expensive (private charter for full day). What Iíd really like to do is get to Capri before all the ferries and tours get there so we can check out the town, head up to Anacapri for some hiking and photographs, have lunch, tour the island by boat, then relax in a bar with a glass of wine enjoying the scenery. Iíd like to head back after sunset. Is that asking too much?

If I could find a private transfer to & from Capri, I could arrange the boat tour of the island once there. Iíve contacted every company I could find, but I must be missing something. There has got to be someone who will do this, and I know it will be expensive, but I just want to know my options.

Help!
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM

I really don't see how getting to Capri an hour or two earlier is going to help with most of your day's plans: "check out the town, head up to Anacapri for some hiking and photographs, have lunch, tour the island by boat, then relax in a bar with a glass of wine enjoying the scenery. Iíd like to head back after sunset." Surely by the time you head up to Anacapri, the boats from Positano will have arrived...

If you're prepared to use what is actually available to put together your own program, I have read very positive reports about the afternoon boat tour offered here: http://www.caprirelaxboats.com/en/index

Incidentally, looking at the site, I see that they say they do day and night transfers from Positano to Capri. So maybe you can leave Positano at 4:00 a.m. if that is your deepest wish...
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Here is another link - these folks are great:

http://www.amalfisails.it
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Hi Sher,
I understand why you would want to get an earlier start for a day trip to Capri.

I was wondering the same thing, but you got farther than me because I can't even find a schedule right now from Positano to Capri.

Please share what time the earliest boat that you actually found.

While we intended to do Capri as a day trip from Positano, we decided to change our plans to stay in Capri as the last night of our Amalfi coast trip (rest of nights in Positano), and I did notice in my research that the last boat to Naples (where we will be headed afterwards) is around 7:30pm, So not sure if you can "stay for a leisruely sunset" and still have time to take the last boat to Positano (which i imagine would occur in less frequency than to Naples).

Good luck planning.

Zerlina, i checked out that website, but they have no prices! So I contacted them and waiting to hear.
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Zerlina - No, I don't want to leave Positano at 4am, but I was hoping to get to Capri by 8am or so. My husband and I like to take a lot of pictures and enjoy getting up early to see a city or town "as it wakes up". The early morning light is always so pretty and I'd like to take some pictures before the crowds arrive. Same goes for sunsets. I contacted Capri Relax boats the other day, but all their tours leave from Capri's harbor so I may use them for the day tour. I specifically asked about early or late transfers to & from Positano, but they didn't address that.

Dina- I may end up changing our plans to stay our last night on Capri; I'm just researching my options right now. I've seen ferry schedules posted here from previous summers, so I'm going by those times as an estimate. I'll see if I can find them again and post them. The earliest one I saw from Positano was 9:10.

Ciaolaura - I'll check out that site. Thanks!
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Great - they do not post prices online, but here is their email address for a quote: [email protected]
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM

I heard from AMALFI SAILS if anyone else is interested.
It might work well for you Sher...

Here's what he quoted:

"The coastal whole amalfitana is especially very beautiful seen by the sea. I will conduct you in boat to make you visit the beautiful unique bays to
the world with beautiful inlets, caves, villas on the sea, castles, towers, will visit Amalfi from the sea, Saint Cross, Basin of the Sea ones, Fiord of Fury, Praiano, Island Them Roosters, Nerano for then to
visit the whole island in Capri with its spectacular beauties. You will have time to leave the boat and to visit Capri city. I will wait you in boat so when you will return me I will conduct you in a restaurant on the rock-cliffs on the sea where you can eat some good fresh fish, served with some good local wine.
This restaurant is found in a place on the sea that only with the boat you/he/she can be reached and it is really very beautiful and romantic. After lunch we will return toward Positano and if you want you can make a dive in the blue sea of the coast amalfitana.
This private excursion for you has lasted around the whole day since 9,30 at 19,00 o'clock in the evening.
This is my suggestion, then if you want to change itinerary there are no problems, I will be to your disposition.
On our boats there is the service drink included in the price.
On my site web www.amalfisails.it you can see my boats.
The price of the boats I am:

Fiart 27 € 550.00
Weelcraft 34 € 650.00
Rizzardi 40 € 850.00
The service will be effected with one captain of ours that speaks the English and it will be to your disposition for the whole time."
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:21 AM

Hi Sher - Unless you want to pay &eur;€€ for a private 'water-taxi' transfer, your best option will be the early 07.20 hydrofoil (€12.50) from Sorrento.

You can reach Sorrento by bus or taxi.

If you prefer a private transfer, there are lots of boat companies in the POSITANO/AMALFI area.

Here are some links:

www.gennaroesalvatore.it
www.lucibello.it
www.bludream.it

www.bluestarpositano.it
www.coopsantandrea.it
www.ladolcevitataxicharter.com (Amalfi)

www.mitopositano.it/barca.htm
www.amalfisails.it/index1.html
www.starnet.it/ornsay

www.cassiopea-positano.com
www.amalficoastlines.com