Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for "don't miss" along Romantic Road and Munich

Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:51 AM
herself

My husband and I will be in Germany from Nov 6 to the 13th. Land in Frankfurt, go to Wursburg, Rothenburg, Augsburg, Munich, Karlsruhe and back to Frankfurt. This board has helped me with all my trips. None of your suggestions have ever been bad. Do any of you have some "Must see" or great restaurants that should not be missed along the way. The more I research this trip to more places I want to see. Thank you.

Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:13 AM
uncle sam

Munich

1. Marienplatz...main square

2. St Peters...climb to the top on a clear day for a view of the Alps

3. Alte and Neu Pentathotek (sp)...old and new art museums...I like the new one better

4. Hofbrauhaus....go in buy the tee shirt or mug and then go drink beer at the augustienrbrau Haus about three blocks form the tain station

5. AAm church on Sendlinger Strasse...baroque gone wild!

6. Englisher Gartens...better in the summer

7. Restaurant Werneckhof...on Werneck Strasse...excellent French cuisine

8. Stachus or Sendlinger strasse for shopping

9. Victualenmarkt...grab a brot and a beer for lunch

10. Deutsche Museum

Safe travels and have some fun!

US

Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
uncle sam

5. Should be Assam Church

Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:25 AM
andre

I would recommend driving south of Augsburg all the way to Fussen (1 1/2 hour away) with stops at Wieskirche, a stunning baroque church, and Neuschwanstein castle. You won't regret it.

Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Julie

Among those towns listed in your post, I'm most partial to Munich and Wurzburg. US has already listed the sites of Munich. In Wurzburg there are two must sees--the Residence of the Prince Bishops and the Marienburg Festung, an old-fashioned fortress on top of the hill. I also agree that culminating your trip in Fussen/Garmisch-Partenkirchen to see the Kongsschlosser (Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles) and Linderhof, Ludwig's baroque gem of a fantasy hunting lodge is a good idea. Search this site using each of these words and you'll find a wealth of information and opinions, including some good recommendations for hotels. Good luck. Enjoy.

Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:02 AM
bettyk

Rothenburg is one of my favorite cities. If you stay in the old part, you can see everything easily. There are many lovely buildings and neat shops. Stop in the local tourist office right off the main square, pick up a map and start walking! If you have time, be sure to visit the Kriminal Museum.

Check out their website for hotel info, restaurants, sights, etc.

http://www.rothenburg-online.de/

Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:05 AM
Larry

If near Munich, Dachau is worth a visit. Also, the Kriminal Museum in Rothenburg. These two places don't have a pleasant message but one of historical truths that we are glad we experienced. If you spend the night in or near Rothenburg, the Night Watchman's tour there that starts from the market square at 8:00 p.m. is quite interesting and entertaining.