Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Looking for Best Castle Tour/Highland Tour PKG - Scotland

Looking for Best Castle Tour/Highland Tour PKG - Scotland

Jan 12th, 2017, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Looking for Best Castle Tour/Highland Tour PKG - Scotland

All,

It's my mom's first time outside of the USA and we're going to Scotland the last week of March. She's in love with the following:

- castles
- the Jacobite Train (not sure if this is the only one like that)
- the Highlands

I've looked in Trip Advisor and online too, and there's a looooong list of tours. So long, that I'm already exasperated and thought that I should just ask for people's recommendations in a forum. I'm trying to do everything on a tight budget, since this will probably be a once in a lifetime trip... but I'm more than willing to spend what's needed to make our trip as memorable as possible.

Something important to keep in mind is that she isn't the most active person there is so tours where there is a lot of walking may not be the best option. (She CAN walk, just probably not more than half a mile at a time due to a heart condition.)

Is there any 1-3 day tour that would help us see all of the things above? Would it be worthwhile to rent a car and drive up to the sites to not have her walk too much? With the buses that drive people around, do they leave you far from the non-Edinburgh sites to the point where you have to walk a mile to the "main attraction"?

Skye would be a dream come true, but I need to be realistic here.

I just want to make the most of her experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Luv2TravelMucho
Jan 12th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Also, I'm into the AirBNB idea as well... I'm just not sure that we'd appreciate Scotland as much without a tour guide... Thoughts?

Thanks again.
Jan 12th, 2017, 08:45 PM

Look at all the offerings from Rabbies - they do 1 to 6 day tours from both Edinburgh and Glasgow.

They use small buses and most tours have 16 or fewer passengers.

https://www.rabbies.com/en/tour-scotland
Jan 13th, 2017, 03:17 AM
ESW

One of the problems with a tour is you have to go at the speed of the tour which may be an issue if your Mom is a bit slow and can't do a lot of walking.

Scotland is very easy to do yourself with a hire car. That way you can gear your itinerary to meet your Mom's requirements. Have a look at the list of suggested itineraries on this website for ideas of what to do.
http://www.secret-scotland.com/

Once you have got your itineray sorted than use this website for lots more ideas of things to do and see. Start with the maps and follow the links. I use this to plan all my holidays. You don't need a guide!
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

When visiting attractions, check out their accessibility or access statements as this will give a good idea of how easy (or difficult) it may me for your Mom. Many places do have a drop off point for people who can't walk far and may have wheelchairs you can borrow.
Jan 13th, 2017, 06:28 AM

>>One of the problems with a tour is you have to go at the speed of the tour which may be an issue if your Mom is a bit slow and can't do a lot of walking<<

Rabbies is a bit different -- but if she is very immobile, then yes, renting a car might be better. I'd maybe contact them because they will also do private tours catered to specific interests/abilities
Jan 13th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Once again janisj is right about Rabbies tours. I have done several tours with them and remember one which included a couple in their 80's. They managed very well. At Tintagel Castle they enjoyed visiting the village as the trek up to the castle was too much. I know they had a great time even though they didn't get up to the castle itself. Rabbies is very different from the usual coach tours so do check them out.

Certainly a car would work well too, but I don't think it's without a few problems either. You should decide which you and your mother feel most comfortable with.

Many of Scotland's castles, especially those along the Castle Trail, should have easy access. Once inside there will be stairs to climb but getting to the castles themselves shouldn't be a problem.
Jan 13th, 2017, 08:22 AM

Rabbies is great, but March tours are limited.
Jan 13th, 2017, 09:13 AM

>>Rabbies is great, but March tours are limited.<<

True -- and really, March probably isn't the best time of year for a first visit to rural Scotland. But if you contact Rabbies they probably can create a private tour that would be a lot of fun and still cater to your Mom's abilities.

Search this Thread