Search

Looking for a small town near Reims!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a small town near Reims!

Hi,

Does anyone know of any charming little towns near Reims that myself and my partner could stay in for 3 nights? We're going mid September and although we've heard quite positive reports about Reims we would prefer somewhere a little smaller. We're renting a car so it's no problem to get around.

Thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM

Cast your eyes south to the Marne River area not far from Reims - Dormans is one river town that may fulfill your dreams or any of the small hamlets along the river, an epicenter of Champagne growers with Champagne producers offering tastes and tours of their small operations dotting the roads along the Marne. Lots of Chambres d'Hotes (Bed and Breakfasts) dot the area as well. Get out a map and look at Dormans and then east to Epernay and west to Chateau-Thierry - anything in between would be very low key.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

PalQ thank you so much for your input. That is exactly the type of place we're looking for. I will definitely check it out. Any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:06 PM

We really enjoyed Epernay (pop. about 27,000) very much! Big enough to keep you busy and to explore the surrounding area. Wonderful restaurant: Les Cepages, 16 r. Fauvette. Classic French cuisine, wide selection of Champagne/wines and a REAL non-smoking room. Not cheap at around55- 65 euros/dinner but well worth the money IMO.

Another unexpected find that we stumbled onto: Chalons s/Marne (along D23?) Fantastic restaurant, La Porte Oubliée, and very reasonable. Adorable town on top a hill overlooking the vinyards below. Cool park dedicated to the local boy who became Pope, Pope Clement the__(can't remember, 9th? 12?)

We really liked the look of Bar-le-Duc (pop. 18,000) and Toul (pop. 17,000). Toul probably has greater choice of hotels/restaurants and a bit more to see (Cathedral, cloister, episcopal palace, museum etc). We would visit both if we were in the area again. Vitry-le-François (17,000) held little interest...abandoned former American army post and town pretty run down look to it.

We were there the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. I would be glad to e-mail some pix if you're interested. Just let me [email protected]. Have a great time!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM

Sorry, Jake, that should have read Chatillon (not Chalons) sur Marne, just to the west of Epernay!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM

If you do not mind to stay in a small village my tip is Chateau d'Etoges, a very nice hotel in a castle with a nice surrounding park. They offer excellent cuisine and serve champagne which grows on the site.
The location is convenient enough to visit everything in the region. The hotel also organizes tours to champagne wineries. I recommend the tour to Launois which is less touristy than tours of the big producers.
http://www.chateau-etoges.com/
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. traveller1959 I think that's the place I've been looking for. Sounds absolutely amazing. I really appreciate you posting that info but I would have kept it to myself!! Thanks again.