Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a small beach village in Spain or Portugal

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few friends and I are looking for a small Spain/Portugal beach town or village to stay at for a week. We want something scenic, ideally with cliffs or terrain on the beach. We are all 28 to 30 and looking to have a good time, but are more into laid back bars vs. loud clubs and crowds. Something with a backpacker feel may work well. Any suggestions? We are going in early-mid Sept.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Try Tarifa near Gibraltar, the wind surfing capital of Europe. The entire Costa de la Luz we found to be much, much more attractive than the built up costa's on the Mediterranean side. You can take a ferry from Tarifa to Morocco just for the day.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM

We had a lovely week in Salema a year or two ago. Each morning we would walk to Restaurant Baio and have coffee while we watched the fishing boats unload and the daily fish auction. A lovey beach to walk. Friendly people. Enjoy. jeff
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM

10 years ago we stayed in Nerja - a fun little town on the Costa del Sol, east of Malaga and Marabella (the kind of towns you are NOT looking for!). It is on a cliff, with steep steps down to the sea, and mountains off in the distance. We were staying in a lot of paradors on that trip, but the Nerja parador was undergoing renovations, so we stayed right next door at a little 2 star place called Hotel Paraiso del Mar. We spent 3 lovely days in this little town before heading on to Granada (which we should've skipped, but that's another story!)
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Cadaques for a backpacker feel.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Strange as it may seem, there is a world of difference between the beach towns of Catalunya Andalucia and Portugal, Europe's "far" west coast.

"Something with a backpacker feel may work well" leaves you with few choices, even if you want loud clubs and crowds. You'll have to consider more tourist oriented locations, if that is what your are looking for. Have you checked Rick Steves recommendations. He's very much into "backpackers" and might have something for you.

Things have changed somewhat since cathyo ventured into Nerja 10 years ago.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Robert what would you say are the obvious differences between the two coastlines that you mention in your post just above?
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:16 AM

You want a stunning coastline? Cliffs? Beautiful beaches? Backpackers and surfers? South west coast of Portugal, Sagres to Aljezur. I am not sure if I am allowed to place links here, to show you some photos of the coast.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM

The Costa Brava is beautiful, with a number of small villages lining the coast and hundreds of impressive summer villas. I like the area around Begur, but it can be very busy during high season. I haven't spent than a lot time in the coastal around Valencia, but the beaches seem to go on forever.

The Costa del Sol area of Andalucia is overbuilt, much different than when I first started hanging out in the area many years ago. There are still some areas where you can get away from the crowds, but overall it tends to be too busy during the summer months. Traffic and parking can be a headache. The picture changes somewhat as if you head west toward Cadiz, or east toward Almeria.

The north coast, from the Basque country to Galicia (Green Spain), is rugged, wild, and beautiful, with many areas still untouched by development. Thankfully, it's not for everyone, but if you're from the Pacific Northwest, then you'll fell right at home, but with food and wine that tends to be a little better.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Thanks!

I wondered how the coastline changed as far as beaches and development as one went west from the Costa de Luz of Andalucia into Portugal. I've heard that the beaches west of Cadiz are pretty, but very windy...
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Arrifana beach, Monte Clerigo Beach, Aljezur area. I can not stop promoting the Vincentine Coast. Al the way from Alentejo to Sagres. Mid September, great weather, not many tourists, good water and, and....
It is a surf spot, surfer from all around the world meet around Aljezur. Great food, (try the sweet potato dishes).
It´s a spot where you find many old VW Bully... that says it...