Search

Long-term Visiting? How/where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long-term Visiting? How/where to stay?

Howdy.

I would like to move my family to Switzerland for a year, to live and learn a language and enjoy their culture. However, I don't think I can get the visa necessary to do that (speak up if anyone knows a way ).

As an American citizen, I understand that by default I can visit Switzerland for 3 months maximum. With that in mind, I have considered just visiting for three months, then visiting another European country for three months, and then moving elsewhere.

I telecommute for my job, so I don't need a job where I go - I just need internet access. We will homeschool our two children for the year (and in particular, focus on cultural education that is otherwise only found in books in the US (and isn't taught anyway...)).

Q: Does anyone have ideas on how I can find short-term apartment or house rentals? When I search online, all I find is vacation rentals ($$$$$).

I welcome any advice!

Thanks,
Michael

PS: wife is a photographer, and children are boy 9 and girl 6.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM

The problem is that Switzerland is now Schengen. This means that just going to Germany won't solve the problem, since it is the same clock on your stay. You could, however, do 3 months in the Schengen zone (most of Europe) and then 6 months in the UK, but that is about all that you could do without getting a proper visa.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Try the classified sections of newspapers local to where you want to live.

Which language are you aiming to learn? Switzerland has four official national languages.

Are your kids going to be OK with picking up and moving all that much? To me, that would be a major pain with kids that age. Especially if the local language was different every time.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Since Switzerland is now Schengen after 90 days you will have to leave the Schengen zone (the UK is probaly your best option) for 90 days before you can reenter.

If you really want to live inSwitzerland you can try for a visa - but not sure if they will even allow you to telecommute from there. But - it's certainly worthwhile checking. Also -have you had a look at the cost of living (not sure where you're from but it could be significantly higher in Switzerland).
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM

It's quite complex. There are so many rules, regulations, requirements and different circumstances, that unless you just contact the Swiss embassy for the facts you'll just get more and more confused. Saying I heard it on Fodor's wont help much. Try swissemb.org for a good start.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM

For short-term rentals, try vrbo.com. For rentals in Switzerland in particular try homegate.ch, you can search by canton and then in large cities by kris/zone. My fear is that some Swiss landlords will not want to rent to you for even three months unless you have a resident’s visa, but it’s certainly worth a try. I have rented through vrbo.com for vacations quite successfully and found my own flat in Zurich through homegate.ch. You might also try a home exchange site like homexchange.com, I don’t have any personal experience with those.

I agree that with Switzerland you need to decide which “language” you want to learn. If you aren’t going to be sending your kids to local schools (which would not take them anyway unless you had a resident’s visa) and are going to be in the eastern part of Switzerland, then you may pick up some Swiss German, which of course will not help you anywhere but the Swiss German part of Switzerland (and will get you just howls of laughter when you try to use it someplace like Germany). You may end up using more English than you think.

As mentioned above, you won’t be able to move to another country within the Schengen zone as your 90 days in Switzerland now “count” as 90 days in any Schengen country. You will have to go to a non-Schengen country (like the UK as mentioned above which is Schengen but has not implemented the immigration policies) or you could try Liechtenstein which is next store to Switzerland, but house rentals there may be more problematic (and they may implement Schengen in 2009 or 2010 you would have to check on this). Ireland would be another possibility. Of course you won’t learn other languages in the UK or Ireland. You could also try eastern European countries which are not part of Schengen at all.

Having lived in Switzerland myself and knowing a little bit about their visa/ immigration policies, I think if you want to live long-term in Europe IMO you are better off picking a country like France where you can apply for a long-term residence's permit or visa. (Also as a practical matter, Switzerland is quite expensive as far as living expenses generally. Groceries, utilities, health care, entertainment, even public transport are relatively expensive compared to the US and compared to many other places in Europe.) Long-term visas are hard to get in Switzerland; in fact I don’t think they issue them unless you are over 60 and have a relative there. To get a long-term visa in France, you have to show that you can support yourself (provide bank accounts, income from investments, etc). Take a look at the requirements for a long-term residence's permit in France, go to
http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/ and click on “visas for France”. You have to apply for this BEFORE you arrive in France. Theoretically, you are not supposed to work while on that visa, but if you are working from home, this may not be discoverable, and you would not be taking a job from a local so there may be no objection to this. (You may already know that you will be liable for US federal income tax on income that you earn regardless of where you live. You should discuss this with a knowledge advisor.) Also be sure to look into medical insurance coverage for yourself and family outside the US.

If you have Irish or Italian ancestors it is possible that you would qualify for an Italian or Irish passport. For info on whether you qualify for Italian citizenship, take a look at the website for the Italian Embassy in the US at http://www.italyemb.org/. I find this site hard to use, but you may have more luck. For info on obtaining Irish citizenship, look at http://www.irelandemb.org/fbr.html. Once you have either of those passports, you can live visa-free in many EU countries (not Switzerland, which is not in the EU).

There are many websites that are helpful for tips on expat life, you might try:

www.expatexchange.com
www.expat-essentials.com
www.expatforum.com
www.expatnetwork.com
www.escapeartist.com/expatriate1/expatriate1.htm
www.outpostexpat.nl

I find it interesting that you appear to have taken your very first trip to Europe within the last 6 months, which was a solo trip to Switzerland, and now you want to move the whole family there for a year. Perhaps just taking the entire summer and travelling around Europe, or renting a house in Swiss, French or Italian countryside for the summer and using that as a base for travelling around might be a good test as to whether you would like living there. You seem to have the freedom to be able to do this, and it might be easier than committing to a year, renting, selling or otherwise giving up your home in the US, storing or moving furniture and household possessions, dealing with home schooling, etc.
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM

michael -

imho I don't think it's a good idea for you to move your entire family to CH after having been there only once last fall. Are your kids going to be ok with that? As a child my family moved around a lot and it was very difficult for me to learn anything in school because I constantly had to start over. In fact, I was held back a grade because I had to learn English as my second language. Think about what you are going to put your kids through.

The idea of living in Europe, homeschooling your kids, and learning about culture is great and all, but it's not that that easy -- if it were, everyone would be going over there.

I don't mean to put a damper on your dreams, but honestly it's going to be almost impossible for you to simply MOVE TO SWITZERLAND, esp. since you have no connections to the country, no understanding of its geography/canton regions, don't speak German/French/Italian/Rumantsch, and have only recently visited the country for a brief period of time.

And as the others have mentioned before -- are you aware of the cost of living in CH? It's certainly not gonna be the same as in Dallas my dear! ;-)

My best advice is: save your money for trips to Europe, but don't worry about living there.

know...before you go...
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM

If you REALLY want to move to CH...well here's the info.

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/...nf/visusa.html

SWISS VISA FOR RESIDENCE

This information is only valid for the U.S.

Residence in Switzerland without employment or gainful activity (retirement) :
Requirements of the Federal Department of Justice and Police in accordance with the decree of October 26, 1983:

The applicant must be at least 60 years old and retired from all employment and gainful activity.

The applicant must have close ties with Switzerland (relatives).

The Cantonal authorities may apply stricter rules. In other words, an applicant who meets the Federal requirements can still be refused a Residence Permit for other reasons (e.g., to maintain the balance of Swiss and foreign residents).

Exceptions: Foreign spouses of Swiss citizens and children of Swiss parents who are not Swiss citizens must follow the immigration procedure. However, they are not subject to the quota restrictions.

Procedure

The applicant must submit the following to the competent Swiss representation:

* 3 duly completed and signed application forms per applicant. The desired place of residence and canton must be stated.
* 4 recent passport-sized photos (very strict requirements, please consult the details on the webpage).
* 3 copies of your passport.
* 3 copies of extract from his/her curriculum vitae/résumé indicating previous places of residence, employment and gainful activities, date of retirement, family members and their places of residence.
* 3 copies of a statement confirming that the applicant is not or will not perform any gainful activity either in Switzerland or abroad.
* 3 copies of a statement containing exact details of his/her income and assets, with official proof and/or bank statements.
* 3 copies of a written confirmation that he/she intends to live permanently in Switzerland and not maintain any other domicile abroad.

After you obtain your visa and arrive in Switzerland, you will need to find out how to get residency status. Check with the consulate.

Note that it is extremely difficult to obtain a work visa for Switzerland.

SWISS VISA FOR WORK

The very restrictive immigration policy of the Swiss Government has made it extremely difficult to obtain residence permits for employment. As a rule, only individuals who have been offered jobs which cannot be filled by Swiss nationals have a chance of obtaining residence permits. Inevitably, these vacancies are usually only in an occupation of a highly specialized nature.
The Swiss Embassy or Consulates General are unable to assist anyone in finding employment in Switzerland. No lists of Swiss or foreign companies, agencies or organizations are available. Switzerland is not a member of the European Union, but a bilateral Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons between Switzerland and the European Union (EU) has been signed and entered into force on June 1, 2002. The provisions of the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons only apply to nationals of the member states of the EU. The new EU member countries do not yet benefit from the free movement of persons with Switzerland.

GOOD LUCK ;-)
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:43 AM

"I have considered just visiting for three months, then visiting another European country for three months"

I'm afraid you need to think twice about this option as well. The only realistic "another European country" is Britain or Ireland, and our rules aren't altogether friendly to your plans either.

You might have a clear definition in your mind of what 'telecommuting' means: but UK immigration law hasn't. When a non-European presents himself for entry to the UK, he's liable to be asked a number of questions about his plans. Intending to earn a living while working here, without getting a visa before starting your journey, means you'll be put on the next plane home. It's irrelevant whether you're depriving a Briton of employment: if you can't show evidence you can support yourself without working, no entry.

In practice things are a bit murkier than that: immigration officers have some discretion, and some might not regard sitting at your desk uploading material as working. But some will: and a risk lots of people would take for themselves is a lot messier with a bunch of dependents in the queue with you. You can't be certain you'll pass the test of self-sufficiency.

You might try browsing websites for expatriates in the UK to see if anyone's got certainty about this. Remember though: your views about all this are totally insignificant. No developed country - least of all your own - has immigration laws that are friendly to remote working, and immigration officers are paid to take the strictest interpretation of their laws: not act as crusaders for a new way of working that's completely alien to their own lives
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:16 AM

Having a bit of a hassle with some visa issues here in Switzerland right now, to the extent that I simply wouldn't bother with it. The country simply isn't nice enough to put up with the hassles they make you go through to do it legally. I would try some place more accomodating.

And don't even think about doing it illegaly. Switzerland is pretty Orwellian and they will find you. The level of surveillance they put you under is, frankly, frightening.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:21 AM

>> The level of surveillance they put you under is, frankly, frightening.

LOL !!
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses.

Regarding my children, they are very excited about the prospect of new places, languages, and cultures. They are strange like their parents (positively, I think), so I don't believe a year of atypical living will scar them. In fact, I think it may be a very valuable part of their growth.

It's unfortunate that it sounds so difficult for me to get a long term visa (and I have read that elsewhere). Not only would I not be a burden on the social services of any country I would visit, I would be earning American money through my company in Boston and spending it in their country. My intent would be to enjoy what I perceive as a less-materialistic, more social and personal experience as compared to Texas.

As for languages, I realize there are many options as far as Switzerland is concerned. My wife has modest German skill (not Swiss-German, I realize), and I have some French from my past. One of my children wishes to learn French while the other wants Italian . And yes, very fortunately for us, many people speak English.

One additional note - my attraction to Switzerland (and which was reinforced by my visit) was a combination of things: ease of travel to so many different, varied places (and in relatively little time); richness of natural beauty; and the three to four distinct parts of the country, each with their own language, and proximity to the rest of Europe. Switzerland just seems like a good base within Europe.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM

>as a less-materialistic, more social
You sure want to visit Heidi and AlmÖhi and live with them. ;-)
That sounds fun.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM

Why not try the Savoy Alps area of France or the Jura, just over the border from Switzerland? Applying for a French long-stay visa is relatively straightforward (based on my personal experience).

It's by no means a breeze but if you can prove independent means and have valid health insurance, you are in with a chance. If you use your work as means of support, you will be subject to French income tax.

As much as you like Switzerland, read again what the restrictions entail for a long-term visa. Unless you meet the criteria i.e. over 60, ties to the country, or have some other influence, it's not going to happen.

I lived in Switzerland for a year, working in a small hotel and as an au pair. I qualified for a student visa because I took French 3 times a week and was low income so basically was a "guest worker". This was in the 70s. It is a beautiful country but....

Have a look at Annecy, France and the surrounding area or the border of Lake Geneva (Lac Leman) on the French side.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM

>> I would be earning American money through my company in Boston and spending it in their country.

I hate to say this, but who's sounding materialistic now?

It's this type of attitude that turns off many Europeans about Americans.

...the whole "I'm American and I have money so you should treat me better and accept me into your country and the rules don't apply to me" type of attitude.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM

I am getting the impression that you are completely over-the-top naïve about Europe now. One brief trip to the Continent and you want to live there, move your family there, in the most expensive country imaginable for a "less materialistic" lifestyle? This does not sound like a reasonable plan, especially having been given the good information Fodorites have provided about the realities.

I think you should take your family on a summer-long trip and see what it's really like.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM

agree with StCirq,

and hopefully you won't come back broke!

Remember the cost of living in CH is *much* higher than in Texas.

Regardless of your opinion about not being a burden to the social services of any country in Europe, if you live there without permanent employment locally, they will question closely your ability to survive there. As flanneruk has said,

>> You might have a clear definition in your mind of what 'telecommuting' means: but UK immigration law hasn't. When a non-European presents himself for entry to the UK, he's liable to be asked a number of questions about his plans. Intending to earn a living while working here, without getting a visa before starting your journey, means you'll be put on the next plane home. It's irrelevant whether you're depriving a Briton of employment: if you can't show evidence you can support yourself without working, no entry.

Very true.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM

<i>My intent would be to enjoy what I perceive as a less-materialistic, more social and personal experience as compared to Texas.</ik>

I struggle to think of a place more materialistic than Switzerland. And I have lived in Texas! I think you need to get a much more realistic picture of things before moving over.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM

Consider another alternative. I lived and worked a year last year in the UK under what is called a highly skilled migrant worker visa. Search on the internet for what is required but when I obtained it two years ago if you have a US college degree, can show a record of earning in the past year what is a relatively moderate salary in the US for a person with more than a couple of years experience and can show you are fluent in English you could get one. You don't have to have a job or the promise of a job or anything and you can work wherever you want in the UK. Getting together all the supporting documents was quite a hassle but doable if the facts are true. Maybe other countries have similar programs. Not that I would suggest that the UK is a very good place to find a simpler less materialistic culture than Texas or a good place to learn another language but I am just suggesting there may be alternatives you haven't considered if you would like to leave Texas.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM

The more I read the more I think that Switzerland is really not hte place for you. If you think Switzerland is not materialistic you must have missed most of the country. Yes, there are rural areas that are very pretty - for tourists.

But, you want to emigrate there - use all of the basic services (transport, water, lighting, etc) and not pay taxes that provide for them - since your income can't be reported. You and your family are precisely what the Swiss are trying to keep out - people who want a lot of freebies and not willing to pay their way.

I really suggest you start by renting an apartment for a month or so (and don;t be surprised by how small it is by Texas McMansion stanards, and how expensive) and try living off the local economy. If you relly enjoy it - then go home and apply for a legitimate visa - with the correct information and plans to pay taxes (very high taxes) to the country in which you're living.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -