London's best Pre-Theatre dinner deals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone out there a foodie and budget conscious?
Looking to find the best meals for the least amount possible, sort of like what you can get at Indigo.

Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:35 PM

I can't give you the specifics, but Le Deuxieme on LongAcre just east of Covent Garden Tube Station is a wonderful restaurant, particularly for fish. They have a great three course theatre special with choices for all three courses. One of my favorite restaurants in the theatre district.

They also do a really great pre-theatre special at L'Estaminet, on Floral Street right by the corner of Garrick Street. Their pre-theatre special is 14.95 for three courses. In May I chose a wonderful cream of tomato soup, faux filet of beef with mushrooms and potatoes, and a plum tart. It's basically French bistro feel with brick walls and candlelight, a lovely little restaurant.

One of the best deals in the area is at the wonderful J. Sheekey (sister to The Ivy). The do a weekend lunch special (Saturday and Sunday) perfect before a Saturday matinee for 18.50 for three courses. Their food is great and they offere substantial choices on this special menu which is easily half of their normal prices.

Cafe Des Amis in a tiny alleyway near Covent Garden Royal Opera House also has a super theatre special. I chose a carpaccio of tuna with rocket, seabass with tapenade on grilled fennel with clams and citrus vinagrette, and my partner had a chocolate-pecan pie with vanilla ice cream. (I passed on dessert as they offer either two or three courses). I can't tell you what the price was, except that we also had a bottle of wine and our total for two was 47.25.

Mon Plasir on Monmouth is a great little French restaurant (seems like a theme here for some reason) that offers a nice theatre special, but I think I always end up going ala carte.

Rules always had a great pre-theatre special, but I don't see it on their website any longer and it seems someone mentioned it is no longer offered. Too bad!!

A really fun place with good food ("great" might be a stretch) is Salieri on The Strand, almost right across from The Savoy. It's colorful inside and often has piano or other entertainment. They do 2 courses for 12.90 or 3 for 14.90 and the food is always good.

All of these places with the exception of L'Estaminet offer the same specials after theatre as well -- which is when we prefer to dine.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I found a website www.toptables.co.uk, which is a restaurant review and reservation service online. They have special promotions such as % discounts or 2 for 1. I'm sure like some coupon programs there are duds, but there is plenty of information about the restaurants and you can always cross check the reviews. They also have part of the site organized by which theaters the restaurant is near, There is also a link on that website for www.getintolondontheatre.com with good ticket prices as a January and February promotion in London. Have fun planning.

Also another q and a site that is good for food is www.chowhound.com.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Patrick: latching onto this thread. Offering my own thanks for those recommendations as our "theatrerama" trip to London is only a couple of weeks away.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick and all.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Patrick thanks for your list ao far I'
ve been to two places and tonight I think I'll try Des Amis .
Just in case you don't know it. Indigo in the One Alldwych is really good. 19.75 3 courses good wine list.
Cheers