Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendation for Paddington, London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Sheila

I'm staying in the Quality hotel in Talbot Square at Paddington on Wednesday. Can anyone recommend a middle of the road place to eat in the area?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Ira

Hi<BR> Have you asked at the hotel?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Sheila

Not yet. But if no-one here has any ideas, I will

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Wendy

If you like Indian, try Khan's one of my favorites. Here's a review:<BR><BR>Big and busy, Khan's has been a fixture here since the 1970s. Great for groups, passers-by and Indian-food lovers. Khan's is actually similar to most curry houses despite its efforts with the exotica - cloudy blue walls and mughal-inspired pillars. The comprehensive menu includes all of your regional favourites, such as chicken Tikka Masala, Prawn Bhuna, Rogan Josh and a variety of tandoori dishes. Try the Shahi Korma, which is mild but very good.<BR><BR>For French food try Bistro Daniel <BR><BR><BR>It is a very good place to have some great bistro grub. It's simple and charming - if you want a finer dining experience, book a table at Amandier upstairs, also owned by Chef Daniel. The menu is short and sweet, with such choices as the delicious confit duck leg with Puy lentils and steak with pommes frites. Daily specials are marked on the chalkboard.<BR><BR>There is also 40° at Veronica's... <BR><BR>This is a restaurant of two halves. Veronica's, the original restaurant, has its roots planted firmly in the history of British cuisine, while newcomer 40° offers modern European fare. One half of the restaurant looks traditional with church pew seats and candles while the other half is stunningly modern with purple and red walls, pictureless frames and leather tablecloths. <BR><BR>Veronica's kitchen presents steaks, poultry, fish and many interesting vegetarian numbers from old English recipes. Each dish has a historical story to tell, which is told on the menu. The 40° cooking is a little bit more exciting with items such as Stinking Bishop's souffl&eacute; (made from a pungent cheese produced in a farm in Kent) on the menu. <BR><BR>If this is not spectacular enough, there are occasional jazz evenings, wine tasting sessions and nights when you can have a seven-course gourmet meal. <BR><BR>For Italian, try this cosy little Al San Vicenzo <BR><BR>Al San Vicenzo is a cosy little restaurant and the d&eacute;cor is traditionally Italian with Italian tiles and paintings of rural Italy, creating an authentic atmosphere that complements the authentic food. All the favorite Italian dishes are on offer and service is exceptionally good. <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Sheila

Wendy<BR><BR>That's terrific. Exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:12 PM
jen

I agree Khan's was a wonderful find! I never had Indian food before and LOVED it. The prawns were HUGE - it gets crowded so you may want to go early. When in London, go ethnic! Very diversified population and that means lots of good food choices! Enjoy

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Frances

Sheila-thanks for asking the question as I am also looking for a recommendation for Paddington on Friday.If you find something good could you post?<BR>With thanks<BR>Frances