COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

London Zoo

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

London Zoo

Does anyone know how far it is from the Baker Street Station to the Zoo entrance? it looks far on a map, but who am I to know. Otehrwise, is there an easier or closer stop, using public transportation, of course. Is this zoo worth it?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:09 AM

I can't remember where we got off for the zoo, but it wasn't a terribly long walk. That said, I didn't think it was a terribly interesting zoo. My wife ids a bit of a zoo nut and found it not to be particularly thrilling.

Bill
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:48 PM

Baker Street Underground station is just about a mile from the London Zoo--a fair hike, but in good weather, a very nice one through Regent's Park.

Another way to reach the zoo is to take a canal boat along Regent's Canal from Little Venice (Warwick Ave Underground station).

Have to agree about the Zoo, though. They're making strides, but it still is not "world class" (and the entrance fee is somewhat steep, compared to free entry into, say, Washington National Zoo).

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

I actually took a cab from my hotel to the zoo - wasn't far and they dropped me off at the entrance. Agree with the others, though re the quality - the zoo is not up to the standard of the San Francisco Zoo or San Diego Zoo if you have been there. It is very spread out n a park-like setting and okay if you want the kids to blow off a little running steam but the animal exhibits are fairly old and have not been updated. The Military Museum however and your children may enjoy that more.Large displays of tanks, jeeps, aircraft and easy to walk around - set up sort of like the Smithsonian. Also has interactive exhibits of London during the blitz - interesting for adults too.

Bearcoll
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:33 AM

I wouldn't bother with the Zoo. Most of the bigger animals have been packed off to park-type zoos eg Whipsnade, which are in easy reach of London.

It is quite small and I think it's a bit dingy. I used to sponsor an animal there, and as such got in free (a porcupine if you must know - proof that you should never go to a zoo with a credit card after the pub) and I was never that taken with it.

If your children (or adults) are interested in Harry Potter they will recognise the Reptile House.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:57 AM

A different opinion: - I enjoy my visits to London zoo very much and if you are a zoologist / ?animal fan?, (especially of the smaller mammals) then I think you will too.
The zoo is hampered by a number of listed / historic buildings and enclosures that they have to 'work around' so rather than trying to have all the ?big animals? there is an emphasis on breeding programmes and conservation etc. For a small zoo I think it is excellent. Take a look at the nocturnal house and don?t miss the anteaters and ?Web of Life? biodiversity display.
The walk to the zoo through Regent's Park is lovely in fine weather, but you can also take a bus from Baker Street - it is a single-decker (unlike most that travel along Baker St.) and the number is 274 (I think - please check before you get on!). Buses are frequent - at least 4 or 5 times an hour. Enjoy!
Firefly
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:31 AM

FIREFLY: I agree...I didn't think the London Zoo was that bad and I've definitely seen worse. We had a good time there with my 21 month old son. And we liked that it wasn't crowded at all.